Thread: TrueCrypt?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation TrueCrypt?

Hey guys, I am looking to password protect an external NTFS formatted USB harddrive and I've read TrueCrypt is a popular solution to do so....I have installed the linux version of the client and will be reformating the drive with password protection enabled but my question is, do I need to have the client installed to access the drive?

For instance, I also have a Windows and OS X machine so will I have to install the TrueCrypt client on those OS's as well, or when I connect the drive, will it just ask me for a password?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: TrueCrypt?

Yes you need to have truecrypt client installed
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
    -Homer Simpson

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
    Hey guys, I am looking to password protect an external NTFS formatted USB harddrive and I've read TrueCrypt is a popular solution to do so....I have installed the linux version of the client and will be reformating the drive with password protection enabled but my question is, do I need to have the client installed to access the drive?

For instance, I also have a Windows and OS X machine so will I have to install the TrueCrypt client on those OS's as well, or when I connect the drive, will it just ask me for a password?
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger1021994 View Post
    Yes you need to have truecrypt client installed
    no you dont, you can run it in portable mode.

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/truecrypt-portable
    Last edited by haqking; December 24th, 2012 at 02:38 AM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the replies guys, I now have been able to setup TrueCrypt across linux, windows, and os x...

The problem I am now having is linux keeps corrupting my encrypted partition that I use for backups....I can copy files under Windows and OS X fine, but the partition almost always corrupts itself after I mount it under Ubuntu 12.04....I get no errors when mounting it and it can read/write to it fine. Just when I go to mount it on Windows or OS X after it was mounted on linux, it is almost always corrupted....Anyone else had this problem?

I think it may be related to de-mounting it....I demount it via TrueCrypt and then use pull the USB HDD out as it is no longer visible in nautilus...Is this wrong?