Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't install Raring as the installation hangs on the partitioner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't install Raring as the installation hangs on the partitioner

My 13.04 test system is working fine and I decided to test 13.04 on my main system. There are two SSD disks and I can keep the 12.10 installation unchanged.
    I downloaded today and used the dd command to copy the installation files to an USB flash drive.
    The USB drive booted OK and the "Live environment" worked fine. However the installation hangs on the partitioner. I mounted the disks, started the installation and got the message to unmount the disks. I unmounted and tried to install again, but there was no difference.

There seems to be a bug report on this problem
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1080701
    Last edited by P-I H; January 22nd, 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On 23 January amd64 ubiquity partitioner says it can't install to a partition outside the disk.

Nonsense. An existing partition is selected, which had a previous raring running in it. No change in size of partition is being asked.

Launchpad bug 1100466.

This bug has been around since at least 16 January, that's a week or more.

Today apport said there was an existing bug 1103213 but could not display it. Must be marked private.

Beans

Facing the same problem as others even up to latest build as of February 8th. Having machines with 4 physical hard disk installed.

Take out 3 of the disk, leaving one for boot. Run the bootdisk and was able to install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, I had to remove my SSD-disk to be able to progress with the installation as well.

I've added my partition layout to the launchpad bug. Installing 12.10 or other distributions worked fine, but 13.04 would hang while trying to start the partitioning tool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have experience the same problem since early in the testing cycle. I searched through a bug report for this problem and found a suggested work-around from one of the recent posts that suggested turning off all the swaps (ie sudo swapoff -a). That did the trick for me ( on the third try) and the install to an ssd proceeded flawlessly. I do hope that the developers get to the root of the problem - but meanwhile I am a happy camper. 13.04 has been otherwise amazing (including on a fakeRAID 0).
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

I reported this bug, or a related one: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1120938

Log posted there as well. Installer hangs unless I disconnect my BTRFS drives that are in RAID10.

Beans

I just experienced the same trying to install on a Thinkpad with a second HD in a caddy.
    After removing the caddy the install went OK.

This is a very frustrating bug. I've asked repeatedly for help debugging it, I'm willing to sit there with GDB and ubiquity on my machine if someone would help me know what to look for.

Beans

I have had issue too, but don't remember the version I had the problem with. Not always seeing the partioning. It was long before this 1st beta. I have been using 13.04 raring for some time already. Seems very stable and fast (kubuntu).

Beans

I've also had problems installing ubuntu 13.04 beta 2 which hangs on the partition editor. I installed from the DVD.

I was able to get around this by removing the 2 files.

sudo rm -rf /lib/partman/automatically_partition/15reuse/ /lib/partman/automatically_partition/25replace/

I now have a strange issue that i've not yet seen posted.

My partitions are listed twice during the "Prepare partitions" screen.

/dev/mapper/vg_name-lv-home
    /dev/apper/vg_name-lv-home ext3 ext4 20000MB

I am unable to remove the first partition.

Any suggestions what I can try next ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast