Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu installation problems

Beans

ubuntu installation problems

I am having problems booting up ubuntu 12.04 from a dvd I burned. I am trying to install ubuntu 12.04 onto an older custom built desk top computer which has windows 7 installed, 1.1 GB AMD processor and 1.5 GB of RAM. When I start up the computer it allows me to choose between windows 7 and ubuntu boot up and when I choose the ubuntu option the screen says completing installation and a countdown appears after which the screen goes blank.

I have used the dvd to successfully install ubuntu on my laptop so it must be an issue with the desktop, is it possible that it is too old ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ubuntu installation problems

gleplae; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

My first guess is: primary partitions on the hard drive. One may only have 4 primary partitions per disk, and often windows takes up all four of the partitions. If this is the case there are means to make a partition available for ubuntu to be installed on.
    To see the partitioning:
    Boot up the livecd in "try ubuntu" mode; ctl+alt+t key combo -> command line interface.
    Enter these terminal commands:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    sudo parted -l
    Be aware that the use of sudo elevates one to administrative authority.
    just try'n to help <== BDQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did you manually try to create the partition or did you just select the options to install ubuntu to run side by side with windows?

Beans

I just selected ubuntu to run side by side with windows I have not done anything to the partition I will try to manually change the partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gleplae View Post
    I just selected ubuntu to run side by side with windows I have not done anything to the partition I will try to manually change the partition.
    Try the installation once again. Before you begin installation make sure you are connected to the internet and select the checkbox for download upgrades or updates.

Select to run side by side with windows and when the installation is done it should prompt you to remove the disc or usb and restart!

Beans

Hi Johny,

I am not getting any check box options I am starting up the computer with the dvd in the dvd player and computer starts to bootup then it gives me either the option to bootup with windows7 or ubuntu. when I try the ubuntu option the computer just goes blank after about 5 seconds.
    At this point I am just trying to install ubuntu off the dvd so I am not sure that partitioning the hard drive is the issue. The computer is connected to the internet but there are no options that allow me to download upgrades or updates or to run side by side with windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

gleplae;

Please do the commands in post #2, so we know what we have to work with/from.
    Post the output to this thread within code (#) tags from the top of the post.

still try'n to help <== BDQ

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by gleplae View Post
    I am having problems booting up ubuntu 12.04 from a dvd I burned. I am trying to install ubuntu 12.04onto an older custom built desk top computer which has windows 7 installed, 1.1 GB AMD processor and 1.5 GB of RAM. When I start up the computer it allows me to choose between windows 7 and ubuntu boot up and when I choose the ubuntu option the screen says completing installation and a countdown appears after which the screen goes blank.

I have used the dvd to successfully install ubuntu on my laptop so it must be an issue with the desktop, is it possible that it is too old ?
    The first two statements seem to be contradicting. If you get a grub screen to choose between the two systems, ubuntu apparently is already installed. I've never had a ubuntu install say it's 'completing installation ' like this. My installations always complete before asking to restart.

Are you in fact still trying to install it? Have you tried to boot without the dvd? Is some info missing from your description of the problem?
    when I try the ubuntu option the computer just goes blank after about 5 seconds.
    Graphic card problem?
    Last edited by critin; December 9th, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

I tried to enter the commands that were recomended by Bashing-om but the commands are not recognized.
    I partition the C drive with windows and have 36 gb of available space to install ubuntu. But after partitioning the drive I still can't bootup ubuntu. I successfully reached GNU GRUB menu giving me different options to bootup with. normal mode, safe graphic mode, Acpi workarounds, verbose mode and demo mode none of the options were very sucessful except that I could reach a command prompt when I was in verbose mode. I did not have any options such as "try ubuntu" mode.

gleplae; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

My first guess is: primary partitions on the hard drive. One may only have 4 primary partitions per disk, and often windows takes up all four of the partitions. If this is the case there are means to make a partition available for ubuntu to be installed on.
    To see the partitioning:
    Boot up the livecd in "try ubuntu" mode; ctl+alt+t key combo -> command line interface.
    Enter these terminal commands:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu sudo parted -l
    Be aware that the use of sudo elevates one to administrative authority.just try'n to help <== BDQ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    I've never had a ubuntu install say it's 'completing installation ' like this.
    I have -- on a wubi install. Could this be one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast