Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME3 Staging PPA

Beans

Re: GNOME3 Staging PPA

OK, now we're cooking!

The most notable sort of borkage is that gdm takes ages to "populate" (by that I mean to display session options or anything) if I have auto-login set to "off". If auto-login is set to "on" it's not noticeable. But just forcing a downgrade of gdm alone doesn't fix it.

I see no changes to the fallback/classic sessions on this fresh mini.iso install of Ubuntu-GNOME-Remix and 'gnome-panel' is still installable after installing the PPA. And after doing so you can still boot into "classic (no effects)" so I assume that is still a work-in-progress which isn't surprising

I'd almost bet the new classic session either gets a new package name or maybe it'll be added to the shell-extensions package in the repos

Pretty hard to try and second guess things at this point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post

I'd almost bet the new classic session either gets a new package name or maybe it'll be added to the shell-extensions package in the repos.

Pretty hard to try and second guess things at this point.[...]
    Sounds like you pegged it...

SOURCE: http://planet.gnome.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Nocera

GNOME 3.7.3 just got released earlier today, and includes some great new work. I won't be posting screenshots, because some of the UIs aren't final, and we'll be iterating until 3.8 is released (and it's my birthday).

Cleaning up

We've cleaned up gnome-settings-daemon plug-ins, and gnome-control-center panels, as well as removing the support code for GNOME Fallback, saving us around 10k lines of code.

gnome-control-center (now "Settings" in the UI) is faster to start, and gnome-settings-daemon require less code to write additional plug-ins.[...]

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias Clasen

Before Thanksgiving I’ve caused some uproar and made people doubt our incurable stubbornness by first announcing the release team decision to drop fallback mode, and then that we’re going to be looking at supported extensions as a replacement. Some have been calling this ‘classic’ mode – I’m using the term ‘legacy’ here, since ‘classic’ may raise some false expectations.

Two weeks have passed since that initial announcement, so I thought it would be a good idea to give an update on what we have achieved so far.

GNOME Legacy

We’ve decided to use the gnome-shell-extensions repository as the place where we collect the extensions that will be part of this effort. If you configure with –enable-extensions=classic-mode, we will install a small set of extensions.[...]

Modern GNOME

Does all this attention on legacy mean that we no longer believe in GNOME 3 ? Of course not ! There’s plenty of great new stuff coming to GNOME 3.8.
    Also, this page may give some insights: https://live.gnome.org/EveryDetailMatters
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Sounds like you pegged it...

SOURCE: http://planet.gnome.org/

Also, this page may give some insights: https://live.gnome.org/EveryDetailMatters
    Great info

I have some hope for the new "classic-mode" because I've been cross-testing Cinnamon (both in Snowlinux and Mint), and pure Gnome3/gnome-shell in Ubuntu-GNOME-Remix. Gnome's Mutter WM far outperforms the Cinnamon fork - Muffin!

I think Mint has recognized that because Clem is talking about an Openbox version of Cinnamon:

https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap

Rethink Cinnamon 2D, fallback to a non-shadow CPU-less intensive session in software rendering mode and/or Muffin/OpenBox (whatever happens, the user should know he's not running the "real" Cinnamon, he should be told why, and he should find himself with a working WM (even a minimalistic one like OpenBox)).
    But right now it's "wait and see" time

EDIT: This is also a good read:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIzMzE

Untz recognizes that this may cause some fallout in GNOME 3.8 so he recommends those potentially negatively affected to stick with GNOME 3.6 for the time being. "There might be cases where these improvements will not be good enough in 3.8 (or with the Mesa and llvmpipe versions available at that time), resulting in a GNOME version that people might not consider acceptable in terms of performance or hardware support. Things will improve with time, obviously, and 3.10 will solve more and more issues; hence I would recommend to people hitting such issues to stay with 3.6 for a few more months."
    Last edited by kansasnoob; December 27th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I know I am in a little over my head but, I took the plunge and added the PPA and am currently updating.
    I guess if it aint broke, break it! The PPA page says:

This PPA will be used to test uploads before they are copied to the main GNOME 3 PPA.
    If they break your system, you get to keep both halves.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I know I am in a little over my head but, I took the plunge and added the PPA and am currently updating [...]
    Like Jeremy said, in his original post...

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Unless you like broken things, you probably don't want this PPA yet. At least make sure you know how to use ppa-purge first.
    Personally, I log into Unity and endure it, as long as I can.

Then, I switch to GS, for the rest of the session.

I don't expect to wash & rinse anything, unless both DEs break, at the same time...

Beans
    Hidden!

Like Jeremy said, in his original post...

Personally, I log into Unity and endure it, as long as I can.

Then, I switch to GS, for the rest of the session.

I don't expect to wash & rinse anything, unless both DEs break, at the same time...
    It's just a test installation any way so I figured why not.

Oh and I do know how to use ppa purge.

I got it and rebooted and now the theme is all white and almost impossible to view.
    I installed gnome-tweak-tool and tried to get it black like you pictures you posted but, could not quite get there from here.
    The top and bottom panels are pretty much white with white text.

I'll play around with it again tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I got it and rebooted and now the theme is all white and almost impossible to view.[...]

I'll play around with it again tomorrow.
    Hrm...

I've been toying with GS, since it became available.

Over time, I've used various PPAs. Some PPAs were/are more stable than others.

Most recently, I've been using ricotz/testing:

You might want to upgrade your system with these packages (e.g. fill some of the holes) then disable it, when you're done.

Basically, my setup is a standard GS install, upgraded with packages from ricotz/testing, and gnome3-team/gnome3-staging.

To be clear, the only unsupported packages that I'm currently checking/upgrading are from gnome3-team/gnome3-staging.

Beans
    Distro

They all worked, except "Settings -> Hardware -> Power".

g-c-c exits, with no error dialog , when I click the "Power" icon.

Code:
    (gnome-control-center:5442): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power' does not contain a key named 'lid-close-ac-action'
    Trace/breakpoint trap
    Fixed by disabling the Ubuntu power panel patches as the gnome-settings-daemon patch they depend on hasn't been ported to GNOME 3.7 yet.

Beans
    Distro

Really nasty upstream bug

Bug 690703 - Date and AM/PM missing from top bar

Americans hate military time

Beans
    Distro

I've boarded Your train. But appearance of menus in Fallback(NOEffects) and appearance of Terminal and similar even in GS is very ugly... What am I missing?
    Update₁: Remembered that I need gnome-tweak-tool ...
    Update₂: Nice... Just enough configurable settings for my taste...
    Update₃: You've got me hooked again...
    Last edited by zika; December 28th, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast