Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets make some Linux Games!

Beans

Talking please delete this post.

project canceled please delete this post.
    Last edited by RSims; December 23rd, 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Lets make some Linux Games!

Quote Originally Posted by RSims View Post
    - Website created for the project with forums (I can do this.)
    this is what i read:
    lets make a new game (any kind of game) for linux. i can do the website while i need some people that will actually make the game.

i doubt this will work.

first you should create something, showcase it, make a pitch and maybe a demo perhaps and then you might see some people join in.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It seems about once a year somebody posts a thread which says "Let's make a Linux game! Nobody's done that yet! I don't know what it will look like or how to make it, but I can TOTALLY build the website once everybody else does the heavy lifting!"

Want to get people interested? Shuck out $1500 for a licensed Unity engine and then people will think about coming on board.
    Linux Gamer.
    Steam: rudeboyskunk
    Desura: rudeboyskunk
    Add me as a friend. Kill zombies/aliens/nazis with me. ON LINUX.

Beans

I think it's a good idea and wish you luck. At the moment I don't have the time though I have been involved in game creation projects previously. It's good fun if the people around you are ok but it can be quite a commitment, if one key player drops out everyone else's work is a risk. The best way around that is to have key tasks instead so that individuals don't become so crucial that things can't get done without them. Knowing what those key tasks are depends on a conversation haven taken place between interested people first. So leaving the idea fairly open and blowing the bugle on a linux forum seems as good a way as any to start.
    I'm only posting because I read the other replies and felt like adding a more positive one. If you were to put up a website now something like letsmakeagame.com ... no that one's taken I just searched. Well I don't want to spend the afternoon inventing names and searching in the hope I find an unused one, but something which means about that anyway, you could showcase your web building skills which would help show that you are serious about it.
    Just some encouragement. Hope you get a team together.
    Last edited by houseworkshy; December 20th, 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Beans

I have to say I regret saying I can do that website since that seems to imply I can't do anything else. Let me put some other information out there.

I plan on doing this solo if nobody else would like to join the project. I thought I'd like to invite other people simply because it would be a lot more productive and allow us to make a much better game.

Second there are a lot of game engines out there that I have enough experience with to know the difficulties they will come with, and others I simply have not tried yet (There are a lot of them to choose from).

I'm a programming student, currently learning C++. I'm by far still just learning but I could handle issues one at a time as they come up. The engine we choose would decide how often, and the game we want to make would decide the complexity of issues etc...

Dishing out money for the project would defeat part of it's purpose, which is to make games from free engines/tools/programs etc... and then make the game itself free.

But anyway, we won't be making anything amazing, the goal is to make something at the very least, entertaining. All you need is some creativity to accomplish this goal, and with this goal we need ideas and unique concepts; we won't need 1500 dollar unity licenses and unhelpful remarks.

So for anyone who may be interested, feel free to reply. If not, that's fine too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Red face Re: Lets make some Linux Games!

It'd also be a good idea to see what kinds of Linux game genres already exist; we have a surfeit of first-person shooters, only a couple real-time strategy games, a number of board-type games, etc. It might be instructive to see what genres are under-represented. Find a niche and occupy it!

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

what if you made like a top down adventure game (maybe side scroller) like zelda.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    what if you made like a top down adventure game (maybe side scroller) like zelda.
    Why make a game like Zelda when emulators already exist to play Zelda? Personally, I have more fun playing games using ZSNES and mupen64plus on Ubuntu than I do playing the native (free) games.

Seems to me it is really difficult to produce games that can compare with the current market which spends many hundreds of thousands of dollars developing games. Perhaps you should join up with one of the groups already working on emulators for Linux. A good PS2 or Xbox emulator would be awesome. I would even like to see a PS1 emulator that is actually easy to install and use on Ubuntu.

Beans

We'll be making the game native to Linux not a emulator of any type. Good replies!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Petro Dawg View Post
    Why make a game like Zelda when emulators already exist to play Zelda? Personally, I have more fun playing games using ZSNES and mupen64plus on Ubuntu than I do playing the native (free) games.

Seems to me it is really difficult to produce games that can compare with the current market which spends many hundreds of thousands of dollars developing games. Perhaps you should join up with one of the groups already working on emulators for Linux. A good PS2 or Xbox emulator would be awesome. I would even like to see a PS1 emulator that is actually easy to install and use on Ubuntu.
    can you point me to the guide you used to get znes working. thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast