Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot change screen resolution 800X600

Beans

Re: Cannot change screen resolution 800X600

GeForce FX 5700LE
    The nvidia-current driver (300-series) isn't going to work for that card. You need the nvidia-173 driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    The nvidia-current driver (300-series) isn't going to work for that card. You need the nvidia-173 driver.
    Thank you Temüjin,

I uninstalled the nvdidia-driver I had, and tried to install the nvidia-173 driver, but got an error :
    HTML Code:
    Os pacotes a seguir têm dependências não satisfeitas:
     nvidia-173 : Depende: xorg-video-abi-11 mas não é instalável ou
                           xorg-video-abi-12 mas não é instalável
    E: Não foi possível corrigir problemas, você tem pacotes mantidos (hold) estragados.
    Which means that dependencies are not satisfied and that I have broken packages held.

I then downloaded the Nvidia-173 from the site, it comes as .run and from the console ran the command sh and I got the errror (summarized):
    Code:
    You appear to run xserver, pleas quit xserver and try again
    I went to command line pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 and ran the sh command again and had the same error.
    Rebooting and booting into the recovery console, I could not find the directory where the driver is kept (says it does not exist).

When booted up again the screen was black with only a cursor.
    I installed Nvidia-current again.
    In the middle of this, I installed Lubuntu to see if it would made any changes, but I got the black screen and could not draw conclusions from that.
    I rebooted again after installing the drivers and now it detects my monitor and it is running at the desired resolution.

That is a big plus.
    The minus are that flash video still do not work and nor do google-earth

Regards,
    Yoram
    Yoram David

Beans
    Distro

Oh well, this morning when I started the computer it is as before, low resolution. I did nothing of my knowledge that might have changed anything.

I burnet a DVD with LinuxMint 14 to install, but after a few screens where things seems to load, I en up with a black screen.

I will try Fedora now.
    Yoram David

Beans

If you could mention exact products that would be helpful. Low resolution or not you can do that by going to the gear in the top right corner of your screen and choose, about this computer. For me it doesn't mention GPU for some reason but that may just be me. If you have an nvidia graphics card within the driver you can change your display resolution and refresh rate. there are currently 5 readily available nvidia drivers. Usually the 310 experimental is the best.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jimmytbane View Post
    If you could mention exact products that would be helpful. Low resolution or not you can do that by going to the gear in the top right corner of your screen and choose, about this computer. For me it doesn't mention GPU for some reason but that may just be me. If you have an nvidia graphics card within the driver you can change your display resolution and refresh rate. there are currently 5 readily available nvidia drivers. Usually the 310 experimental is the best.
    Thank you jimmytbane,

I am using Ubuntu 12.10 3.5.0-22-generic
    Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T220
    Graphic card (from "lspci"): VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV36 [GeForce FX 5700LE] (rev a1)
    It is a MSI FX5700-LE 256MB DDR-TVOUT-DVI

Is there any other information that would be useful?

Regards,
    Yoram
    Yoram David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The problems you are facing come from 3 areas:
    You need the 173 Nvidia drivers for this card if you want to use Nvidia drivers.
    It appears your monitor is NOT reporting its EDID file parameters to X correctly.
    (in one of the links to a solution you will see a
    Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
    statement in an xorg.conf file. This tells the X system to ignore settings from the monitor and to use Options you set manually in the xorg.conf file.)
    You have tried so much the install is now messy and could be corrupt.

-------------------------
    Try fresh install. Install 173 Nvidia drivers. Install nvidia-settings. see if you can use nvidia-settings to correct the problem, or manually edit the xorg.conf file with settings for your monitor.
    ----------------

or, in desperation,(as I have done with an old ACER monitor) cheat using xrandr.

In a Terminal type
    xrandr -q

this will show you what resolutions are available to the monitor with the current driver.
    Top of the list will be the default.. ( s 0)
    the next on the list (s 1) etc..

The command xranr -s 0 will put the monitor to default resolution.
    The command xrandr -s 1 will use the resolution that comes next and so on.

You can even put these commands in a desktop launcher for future convenience...

Good Luck...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    The problems you are facing come from 3 areas:
    You need the 173 Nvidia drivers for this card if you want to use Nvidia drivers.
    It appears your monitor is NOT reporting its EDID file parameters to X correctly.
    (in one of the links to a solution you will see a
    Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
    statement in an xorg.conf file. This tells the X system to ignore settings from the monitor and to use Options you set manually in the xorg.conf file.)
    You have tried so much the install is now messy and could be corrupt.

-------------------------
    Try fresh install. Install 173 Nvidia drivers. Install nvidia-settings. see if you can use nvidia-settings to correct the problem, or manually edit the xorg.conf file with settings for your monitor.
    ----------------

or, in desperation,(as I have done with an old ACER monitor) cheat using xrandr.

In a Terminal type
    xrandr -q

this will show you what resolutions are available to the monitor with the current driver.
    Top of the list will be the default.. ( s 0)
    the next on the list (s 1) etc..

The command xranr -s 0 will put the monitor to default resolution.
    The command xrandr -s 1 will use the resolution that comes next and so on.

You can even put these commands in a desktop launcher for future convenience...

Good Luck...
    Thank you.
    As in a 4 posts up, I explained I could not install the nvidia-173 driver, there seems to be a bug with that installer.
    xrandr -q
    Gave me 3 resolutions, being the higher (1024x768 61.0* ) the one in use but not the most the monitor can suport (1680 X 1050).

When you say fresh install, I suppose you mean fresh install of the operating system. That is what I tried already without success with mint and fedora. Both CD's load to a screen with no options to install are presente and I cannot do anything.
    And I do not want to install Ubuntu any more (the Live CD works fine with a good screen resolution but no flash).
    Yoram David

Beans
    Distro

As suggested before, I did a fresh install, but this time I am trying LinuxMint 14.
    Resolution is ok now, but system is slow and I still cannot install additional drivers, it says "SystemError: E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages" - now I just installed Mint !
    But perhaps now I have to go to Mint forums?

It seemed that Mint got installed correctly, but I ended up with a black screen and a cursor when the system got loaded.
    I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then "enter" and the login screen come up with an option to boot in "KDE Plasma Workspace (failsafe session) (previous).
    It started with a desktop this time. But it is slow, no flash video, google-earth does not display the maps, and I cannot install the nvidia drivers from the Additional drivers application.

And from the console I still cannot install the nvidia-173

Regards,

Yoram
    Yoram David

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi Yoram

Please see this thread?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973
    It details how to generate the screen mode you want and then how to add it to xorg.conf in the modes section.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by furything View Post
    Hi Yoram

Please see this thread?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973
    It details how to generate the screen mode you want and then how to add it to xorg.conf in the modes section.
    Thank you furything,

I did something similar indeed, editing the xorg.conf and thanks to that I went from 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 but I never went any near the desired 1680 x 1050.

Now I am in Mint desktop since this morning, I got rid of Ubuntu, and it runs at the desired resolution of 1680 x 1050.
    The problem now is that I need to install nvidia-173 but cannot due to a bug I think!

Regards,
    Yoram
    Yoram David

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast