Thread: Pls help increase speed using Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Pls help increase speed using Ubuntu 12.10

I have just installed ubuntu 12.10 (32-bit version) on my old Toshiba Satellite (496.3 MiB, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz processor, NV17 graphics card, 58.5 GB HD). Although this is an older system, it ran Windows XP smoothly and fairly quickly especially compared to ubuntu. I had installed Knoppix 6.5 just prior to ubuntu. Knoppix installed easily without any issues and ran at a good pace. After installing ubuntu, the speed of opening applications or folders takes a few minutes to complete. Is there anything I can do to increase the speed of this OS? Although I'm new to the linux world, I'm testing out these OSs to see which I would like to install on a netbook for future international travel so any assistance anyone can provide would be very helpful. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Pls help increase speed using Ubuntu 12.10

Install a proprietary video driver.
    And also install xubuntu-desktop. It may help. The hardware is too weak to run standard Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Your graphic card is not properly supported in Unity, Gnome 3 or Cinnamon. EDIT: I misread a bug report, it might be supported, anyway I stand in my recommendation for a light desktop environment given the rest of specs.

With those specs your best bet inside the _buntu world would be Lubuntu, which uses LXDE:
    http://lubuntu.net/

But Xubuntu (XFCE) might also work well:
    http://xubuntu.org/

Unity, Gnome 3, Cinnamon, XFCE and LXDE are Desktop Environments. Another Desktop Environment that can be installed very easily in Ubuntu is KDE, and it supports your graphic card, but in your case I don't recommend it because of the amount of RAM you have.

There are more but they are probably not well suited for newcomers to Linux.
    Last edited by tartalo; February 25th, 2013 at 01:07 AM.

Beans

If you are looking for netbook distros, have a look in other OS/distro talk. There is a thread I created with great information about lightweight distros.

If Ubuntu is too heavy to run on your system, try Xbuntu or Lubuntu.
    - In the Service of General Cuckoo -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would have recommended Lubuntu to start with, but if you already have Ubuntu install you can easily add Lubuntu and remove the stock gnome Ubuntu stuff later. This should do it:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop plymouth-theme-lubuntu-logo plymouth-theme-lubuntu-text
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED], which lets us find solutions faster!