Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 8

Beans

Dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 8

I'm really sorry and I know you must be sick because of these similar thread, but I gave up on install ubuntu. I just don't understand how do to it. I create a new partition and reset my laptop. Whenever I plug my USB in then the laptop doesn't boot the usb it just keep resetting. I did try to find some solutions but I couldn't found any. please help.

My laptop is HP-Envy m6.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 8

How did you write the iso file to the USB?
    Is the USB bootable?
    Is your laptop set up to boot USB as first device?
    You may need to press a keyboard key to get it to boot to a USB device; read the laptop manual.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

For the dual-boot part of your problem here is a tutorial I posted earlier on another thread: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/05/17...and-windows-7/

For the usb problem, go into the boot manager (press the f12 at start-up) and change the boot order, maybe the usb isn't listed first
    If the usb doesn't work for you, install Ubuntu by DVD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Re: Dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 8

All computers have a BIOS that tells the computer which devices to load first.

Usually they go something like this:

CD-Rom
    Hard-Drive
    Network Boot

Etc..

You need to restart your computer. When the computer first starts up hit f12 or delete or f2... (It will usually say boot manager or BIOS or boot menu or something of that nature)

Just read the screen, careful it can sometimes go away quickly.

After words just look through the settings and make sure your USB drive is set to number 1 on the list.

Sometimes you have to change your hard drive from "local drive" to "usb drive"

And then move it up on the list.

And of course you can always boot from a DVD...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Someone posted this.

HP to get into UEFI/BIOS menu - escape then f10 as soon as it starts.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=5171079

Some have posted that you have to press keys right away as it boots very quickly.

Have you downloaded the 12.10 64 bit version as that has the newest grub2 that works with secure boot.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Is the USB bootable?
    Is your laptop set up to boot USB as first device?
    You may need to press a keyboard key to get it to boot to a USB device; read the laptop manual.
    Hi nkenny94,
    and welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

You need to answer to our questions, otherwise we can only guess, what is your problem. Start with the first one:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nkenny94 View Post
    I'm really sorry and I know you must be sick because of these similar thread, but I gave up on install ubuntu. I just don't understand how do to it. I create a new partition and reset my laptop. Whenever I plug my USB in then the laptop doesn't boot the usb it just keep resetting. I did try to find some solutions but I couldn't found any. please help.

My laptop is HP-Envy m6.
    Put the usb in while the computers on then restart

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Hi nkenny94,
    and welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

You need to answer to our questions, otherwise we can only guess, what is your problem. Start with the first one:

I know how to install ubuntu. i did it on my old laptop
    use linuxinstaller or something like that from the website to write iso file to the usb. I did change the BIOS so the on the top of other thing. I just don't know why whenever I put my usb on then the laptop just keep reset and it won't run ... I did try to install from wubi and it say that I missing that wubi file or something

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nkenny94 View Post
    I know how to install ubuntu. i did it on my old laptop
    use linuxinstaller or something like that from the website to write iso file to the usb. I did change the BIOS so the on the top of other thing. I just don't know why whenever I put my usb on then the laptop just keep reset and it won't run ... I did try to install from wubi and it say that I missing that wubi file or something
    Good, we can skip the noobiest questions!

The resetting cycling indicates that the computer really tries to boot from something else than its standard internal drive.

- But just to check the USB stick: Test if you can boot your old laptop from it now! Some USB drives won't co-operate with some computers. It is worth trying another USB stick (other brand or model), or another tool to make it bootable. I have good experience with UnetBootin. You can also try to write the iso image directly to the USB stick with dd (low level writing to the block device). See this link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1958073

- Are you trying to boot from a USB 3 port? That might not work yet. Try all the other USB ports.

- Oldfred is probably the most experienced of us concerning boot and install issues, so please read his post very carefully, and try what he suggests!
    Last edited by sudodus; December 22nd, 2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typing error

Beans

Well! I did try both 2.0 and 3.0 usb port but both doesn't work.. I pretty sure that my old laptop can boot with my usb. and both my laptop is hp
    Hmm.. Can I install ubuntu in different way except from usb or dvd ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast