View Poll Results: What keyboard do you use for programming?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't care about the keyboard, anything is fine

13 46.43%
  • I bought an ergonomic keyboard, for RSI preventing purposes

1 3.57%
  • I'm not using an ergonomic keyboard, but the keyboard matters

14 50.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What keyboard do you use for programming?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What keyboard do you use for programming?

simple..
    Attached Images Attached Images

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

I bought my keyboard at a used store in the local university campus. It was kind of dusty, but after being cleaned with an an anti-microbial wipe it was excellent. it does not have any square keys left of the arrow keys. They are all well angled for touch-typing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The keyboard on my Lenovo ThinkPad T530. Without a doubt the finest keyboard I've ever used. That being said, I'm just beginning to learn how to program (spend the last 8 months learning/playing with Ruby, now learning some Rails stuff).

Beans

Just the stock keyboard that came with my Dell. For a cheap, rubber-dome keyboard it's actually pretty decent, but after 5 years of heavy use it's lost some action and response.

http://cdn.overclock.net/8/86/860645...s_ndo4190.jpeg

I've tried ergonomic, chiclet, flat/slim ... I just can't get used to anything but a standard board with tall keys, lol. Nor have I ever had any use for any gaming/macro type boards. I really want to try out a Das Keyboard Silent, though.
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chiel92 View Post
    Interesting that most of you have regular keyboards.
    Anyone using stuff like http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/keyboards.htm ?
    I do! After visiting a physiotherapist and noticing that I was already developing RSI, I decided I needed a more ergonomic setup. I use this set from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en...7000/WTA-00001

Especially the mouse makes a big difference. It's just so much more natural to hold your wrist at a slight angle like that and it shows. I can seriously feel the difference when I need to type on a regular- or notebook keyboard now.

Also I made sure that my monitor is set to a proper height and my laptop is up on a stand so I can more or less keep my back straight while on the clock.

An ergonomic setup is seriously underrated in the IT world.
    Full time open source software developer. Projects:
    Wakame-vdc: Virtual data center. Community: Wakame Users Group
    OpenVNet: Virtual networking using OpenFlow
    Sinatra-browse: Parameter declaration framework and browsable API for ruby Sinatra.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I think that one, http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en...7000/WTA-00001, is indeed good. It's a shame that's it's pretty heavy. I would like to have a lighter one, for portabililty.
    Vim - Comfortable text editing and coding
    vim-autoformat - a code-formatting plugin for vim supporting various languages - https://github.com/Chiel92/vim-autoformat
    Vimperator - Fast browsing using keyboard only

Beans

Filco majestouch 2 ninja - The greatest keyboard in the world!

Beans
    Distro

Razer Arctosa. Makes quite a bit of sense really. Gamers put their keyboards through a lot of strain, especially when losing, so a gaming keyboard is likely to be reliable and long-lasting. Gamers play for hours on end, so a good gaming keyboard will be comfortable for marathon coding sessions. Gamers need good tactile and audible feedback that they've pressed the keys correctly, so a gaming keyboard will probably be quite easy to type on.

And yes, it's quite a nice keyboard to use for coding.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post

Razer Arctosa. Makes quite a bit of sense really. Gamers put their keyboards through a lot of strain, especially when losing, so a gaming keyboard is likely to be reliable and long-lasting. Gamers play for hours on end, so a good gaming keyboard will be comfortable for marathon coding sessions. Gamers need good tactile and audible feedback that they've pressed the keys correctly, so a gaming keyboard will probably be quite easy to type on.

And yes, it's quite a nice keyboard to use for coding.
    But bloody expensive

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

QWERTY English only, as its the only one I've ever used.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast