Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xubuntu will not load, drive cache data issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: [Urgent] Xubuntu will not load, drive cache data issue

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    You wrote in the opening post, that you have dual boot Ubuntu and Xubuntu (but Xubuntu is no longer working). Now you write that you have dual boot Windows 7 and not working Xubuntu. What about Ubuntu? Did you wipe it?
    My bad, I was confused with my other computer which has boot errors on windows... I have two computers with xubuntu installed that I cannot use... The computer we are talking about in this thread is dual boot Ubuntu and Xubuntu. I wish to access the Xubuntu which has all my important files on it, so installing xubuntu desktop on Ubuntu will not help me. Plus it does not stop the fact that this computer cannot handle Ubuntu and Xubuntu is a good light replacement.
    I accidentally erased my hard drive and windows in my first ever attempt at installing Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaMiller0 View Post
    My bad, I was confused with my other computer which has boot errors on windows... I have two computers with xubuntu installed that I cannot use... The computer we are talking about in this thread is dual boot Ubuntu and Xubuntu. I wish to access the Xubuntu which has all my important files on it, so installing xubuntu desktop on Ubuntu will not help me. Plus it does not stop the fact that this computer cannot handle Ubuntu and Xubuntu is a good light replacement.
    I see. What happens when you boot Ubuntu and try to access the file system of Xubuntu? Can you mount it? In that case you can also save all your important files (and I think it would be the easiest way).

Otherwise you might be able to do it via a live session booted from a Xubuntu install CD/USB drive.

But if the installed Xubuntu file system won't mount, you might succeed after repairing its file system with e2fsck. Maybe the situation is not too bad. Maybe 'only' a problem with a corrupt file system because of a dirty shut down.

Please post the output of the following commands
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    Code:
    df
    and I or someone else will suggest what command to run (without knowing more I suggest something like this)

Code:
    sudo umount /dev/sdxy
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sdxy
    where x is the drive letter (probably a) and y is the partition number. x and y are to be found by the output of those three commands above.

After the e2fsck command you can try to reboot from the internal drive.

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: [Urgent] Xubuntu will not load, drive cache data issue

I see. What happens when you boot Ubuntu and try to access the file system of Xubuntu? Can you mount it? In that case you can also save all your important files (and I think it would be the easiest way).

Otherwise you might be able to do it via a live session booted from a Xubuntu install CD/USB drive.

But if the installed Xubuntu file system won't mount, you might succeed after repairing its file system with e2fsck. Maybe the situation is not too bad. Maybe 'only' a problem with a corrupt file system because of a dirty shut down.
    I cannot access my files on xubuntu via ubuntu. It cannot mount and just appears as locked.

Please post the output of the following commands
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    Code:
    df
    I will try this when I get home and reply as soon as possible.
    I accidentally erased my hard drive and windows in my first ever attempt at installing Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

I cannot access my files on xubuntu via ubuntu. It cannot mount and just appears as locked.
    What can you see from a live session booted from a CD/USB drive?
    - The partition table via fdisk, blkid or gparted?
    - Any files? (Can you mount your xubuntu file system?)

I will try this when I get home and reply as soon as possible.
    Did you try the commands suggested in post #12?

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: [Urgent] Xubuntu will not load, drive cache data issue

What can you see from a live session booted from a CD/USB drive?
    - The partition table via fdisk, blkid or gparted?
    - Any files? (Can you mount your xubuntu file system?)
    Umm, not entirely sure how to mount the system. Searching the net doesn't help because I do not know what partitions Xubuntu and Ubuntu are on.

Did you try the commands suggested in post #12?
    Erm, I seem to have forgotten. I do not use this computer very often due to it's slowness, but I might as well have some speed when I do use it...

Beans
    Hidden!

Umm, not entirely sure how to mount the system. Searching the net doesn't help because I do not know what partitions Xubuntu and Ubuntu are on.

Erm, I seem to have forgotten. I do not use this computer very often due to it's slowness, but I might as well have some speed when I do use it...
    Running a live session, you can mount partitions on the other drives (internal and external) using the file browser. Click on the icon of each partition on the left panel, and it will be mounted (if it can be mounted). Then you can browse the files of that partition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12