Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decided to Roll back to 9.10 - What are my options?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Red face Decided to Roll back to 9.10 - What are my options?

Hello Everyone!

I've been using Ubuntu on my netbook since 9.10 had just been released. It came with Windows 7 Starter.... which took me all of a week to decide I absolutely hated. What a stupid excuse for an OS. At any rate, that's when I started to research Linux... eventually leading me to choose Ubuntu Netbook Remix (9.10). Loved it. Totally. SO easy and simple to use, and SO fast on a netbook.

So I've been using it pretty consistently since then, upgrading to new versions as they came out. Everything was great until... 12.10(?). I can no longer control the brightness of my screen (previous solutions for my netbook no longer worked), and the interface was constantly crashing to the login screen. Every. Ten. Minutes. Not good. Especially when the machine's primary purpose is to take notes at business meetings and conferences!

So I decided I'd flush 12.10 (after wiping Ubuntu off the HDD and starting again with a clean install... which still had issues), and roll back to the old 9.10 that I loved so much. I'm typing on it right now. It just seems there's absolutely no support for it anymore! I understand that there will be no new updates and all, but The software center keeps telling me that nothing is available "for your current hardware configuration" or "In the current Data" or some other similar message. Annoying.

What are my options? Am I totally stuck with strictly the default installation? Or is there another repository somewhere I can get things like the FFmpeg libraries? Alternatively, is there a lighter version of Ubuntu available somewhere for a slower computer? Or could I run the old interface under 12.10?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Mark

Beans

Re: Decided to Roll back to 9.10 - What are my options?

lubuntu or xubuntu are probably better suited to lighter hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I went through the same thought process as you for my netbook and almost dumped 12.10 as well. 12.04 worked very well but did not support all my hardware (touchpad) properly so I was really eager to get 12.10.

Many crashes and Unity was much slower than previous. I was about to go to Xubuntu which I tried on live USB stick and works great but I installed gnome-session-fallback and have been using that successfully for about a month now. It is still the core 12.10 so it might not solve your screen issues but it runs better than Unity.

I actually really like the Unity dash, etc. so I installed Cairo dock to replicate the Unity dock and it solved my issues.

In the future I may go to Xubuntu or Lubuntu though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

9.10 is completely unsupported. You can access the old repos by switching your sources to those at http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/, but I wouldn't recommend running an unsupported version, as you will be vulnerable to any new flaws found in the software.

10.04 is still supported for another few months and does have an old-style netbook interface available. Otherwise your options are running 12.04 in Unity-2D mode, or with an alternate DE such as LXDE of XFCE. I would advise against using the latest version (12.10) if you were installing standard Ubuntu, as it no longer has a DE that will run well on a netbook.

Lots of choice there really

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

to add to the choices... Kubutnu (KDE) has a netbook plasma interface available. it's not the same as what you have but maybe worth exploring...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kubuntu/NetbookPlasma

http://www.kde.org/workspaces/plasmanetbook/
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If on 12.04 you could run unity 3d then there is no need to go to a light weight distro, just go back to 12.04 and wait for 13.04 and try your luck. If you couldn't run 3d in 12.04 I'd suggest moving to xubuntu or some other xfce distro (I personally have been trying Manjaro, it's a little more difficult to setup than ubuntu (although not really) but it comes with xfce by default and I really like it!)

Beans

Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. Definitely.
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...roject/xubuntu

You'll like what you'll get, I have no doubt!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Xubuntu or Lubuntu would be your best choice. Your worst choice would be to stick with an unsupported older edition of Ubuntu. There will be no more security fixes so your system would be at risk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Smile Re: Decided to Roll back to 9.10 - What are my options?

First off, I want to thank everyone for their replies! I really appreciate it!

As a result of reading through this the other day, and my own research, the netbook is currently running Kubuntu 12.10. Everything seems to work, it's just a different interface to get used to... but it still seems to lock up randomly every 20 minutes or so, and the screen brightness levels seem to be scrambled. The keys work, but provide seemingly random brightness levels when pressed. Same thing when the system "Dims" the screen. I've disabled that feature for now. I remember there was a work-around for older versions, but is there one for 12.10? I have an Asus Eee PC 1005PE.
    Last edited by Captainhepp; December 23rd, 2012 at 01:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhepp View Post
    First off, I want to thank everyone for their replies! I really appreciate it!

As a result of reading through this the other day, and my own research, the netbook is currently running Xubuntu 12.10. Everything seems to work, it's just a different interface to get used to... but it still seems to lock up randomly every 20 minutes or so, and the screen brightness levels seem to be scrambled. The keys work, but provide seemingly random brightness levels when pressed. Same thing when the system "Dims" the screen. I've disabled that feature for now. I remember there was a work-around for older versions, but is there one for 12.10? I have an Asus Eee PC 1005PE.
    That sounds like the video driver problem I had on my desktop with 12.10. My netbook does not have any video driver options but my desktop did and when I switched to the proprietary nVidia driver things got more stable.

If this is an option for you, the location for proprietary drivers has changed. They are located in Software Sources if they are available. You can get there in System Settings -> Software Sources or if you happen to have Snyaptic loaded to can get to the same place there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast