Thread: converting mp4 to avi

Beans

converting mp4 to avi

Hey guys.

I'm attempting at converting huge 1080p .mp4 files into smaller, more compact .avi

WinFF and ConvertMe! don't seem to do absolutely nothing, even though they state that it has been converted *shrugs*

I normally convert my .rm files to .avi with mencoder with the following.
    Code:
    mencoder video1.rm -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=150 -srate 44100 -af resample=44100 -o video1.avi
    Is there a simple way to do this but from .mp4?

Thank you!

K.m
    - In the Service of General Cuckoo -

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: converting mp4 to avi

First, you should be aware that an .avi file IS an .mp4 file.

The only way you will make your 1080p.mp4 file smaller is to re-sample it at a lower resolution, or lower bit-rate, and even that may not make a huge difference in the file size. Definitely your presets in WinFF for mp4 to .avi will not work, you will have to change the settings in the command-line for mencoder.

Beans

The avi container is just about obsolete, do you have a reason apart from size that you need avi? If you are dead keen on avi I suspect FFmpeg will be your friend and the syntax could be suggested to you if you install it and then interrogate your file as follows:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i myfile
    and then post the full terminal output here...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    The avi container is just about obsolete, do you have a reason apart from size that you need avi? If you are dead keen on avi I suspect FFmpeg will be your friend and the syntax could be suggested to you if you install it and then interrogate your file as follows:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i myfile
    and then post the full terminal output here...
    Doesn't have to be specifically avi - it's the 'normal' format my files are in, but I am open to others, as long as they function properly.
    I'm just trying to break the size of the files down. It from a DVD rip with 14 files and it's just immensely huge; 27.6GB

This is the reply I get from your code
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i /home/km/Downloads/Vuze/Done/Fashionistas/8310_01_1080p.mp4
    ffmpeg version 0.8.4-4:0.8.4-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the Libav developers
      built on Nov  6 2012 16:50:25 with gcc 4.6.3
    *** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
    This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a future release. Please use avconv instead.

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 59.94 (2997/50) -> 29.97 (2997/100)
    Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/home/km/Downloads/Vuze/Done/Fashionistas/8310_01_1080p.mp4':
      Metadata:
        major_brand     : isom
        minor_version   : 512
        compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
        creation_time   : 1970-01-01 00:00:00
        encoder         : Lavf52.93.0
      Duration: 00:45:20.15, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 7109 kb/s
        Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1920x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 7001 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 2997 tbn, 59.94 tbc
        Metadata:
        Stream #0.1(und): Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 101 kb/s
        Metadata:
    At least one output file must be specified

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you could use avidemux to encode it down to a more reasonable resolution and bitrate, that's the only way you'll get the file to be smaller. i believe in avidemux you can set the file size limit and it'll do the rest.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cwsnyder View Post
    First, you should be aware that an .avi file IS an .mp4 file.
    Not always. AVI files are just containers. The type of video in an avi is determined by the codec used to create it. It might be mp4, but could just as easily be mpeg 1, mpeg2, or any of a number of different codecs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    you could use avidemux to encode it down to a more reasonable resolution and bitrate, that's the only way you'll get the file to be smaller. i believe in avidemux you can set the file size limit and it'll do the rest.
    It doesn't seem to work.

When I open up the file, I'm prompted with the following.
    HTML Code:
    H.264 detected

If the file is using B-frames as reference it can lead to a crash or stuttering.
    Avidemux can use another mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME ACCURACY.
    Do you want to use that mode?
    If I accept and use safe-mode, once it is done. The file plays by frames.

If I cancel. I'm prompted with
    HTML Code:
    Index is not up to date

You should use Tool->Rebuild frame. Do it now ?
    And then with
    HTML Code:
    Crash

Assert failed :0
     at line 386, file /build/buildd/avidemux-2.5.4/avidemux/ADM_encoder/adm_encConfig.cppADM_backTrack
    videoCodecGetMode()
    ADM_Composer::saveAsScript(char const*, char const*)
    saveCrashProject()
    ADM_backTrack
    ADM_Composer::getUncompressedFrame(unsigned int, ADMImage*, unsigned int*)
    admPreview::update(unsigned int)
    avidemux2_gtk() [0x808daae]
    avidemux2_gtk() [0x809012c]
    FileSel_ReadWrite(void (*)(char const*), int, char const*, char const*)
    avidemux2_gtk() [0x8164c59]
    GUI_FileSelRead(char const*, void (*)(char const*))
    HandleAction(Action)
    guiCallback(_GtkMenuItem*, void*)
    g_cclosure_marshal_VOID__VOIDv

g_signal_emit_valist
    g_signal_emit_by_name

g_cclosure_marshal_VOID__VOIDv
    regardless whether I build or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Have a look here

http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/x...gGuide#twopass

You can choose your output filesize with two pass x264 encoding.

You will need to compile x264 then ffmpeg for this to work well. See here for guide:

http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/U...mpilationGuide
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You'd be best off turning an MP4 into a smaller MP4, than turning it into an AVI.

First, install avconv (the fork of ffmpeg included in the Ubuntu repositories):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install avconv ubuntu-restricted-extras
    To convert the video:
    Code:
    avconv -i input.mp4 -an -c:v libx264 -crf 23 -preset veryfast output.mp4
    X264 is the open-source h.264 encoder, and is a rare case of an open-source implementation that is better than all the commercial products.

-crf sets the quality: 0 is completely lossless, 18 is 'visually lossless', 23 is the default, and 26-28 (depending on who you ask) is the highest you should go, beyond there the visual quality is too bad to watch. A higher crf number will also give you smaller files; an increase of 6 should reduce file size by about half, so all other things being equal, -crf 26 will give you a file half the size of -crf 20.

-preset sets the x264 preset: the available presets are ultrafast, superfast, veryfast, faster, fast, medium, slow, slower, veryslow - the slower presets will give you a longer encoding time, but smaller output files. I tend to use veryfast, because after that IMO you get a case of diminishing returns (longer and longer encode times for less and less improvements in file size). You should use the slowest preset you can wait for.

I've left the audio to copy over the stream. The MP4 container can use AC3 (for surround sound) or AAC audio. If you want to compress the audio, I recommend using neroAacEnc. Unfortunately, it isn't open-source. Fortunately, Nero have released it as free to use for personal uses. To install it, use:

Code:
    wget ftp://ftp6.nero.com/tools/NeroDigitalAudio.zip
    unzip NeroDigitalAudio.zip -d nero
    cd nero/linux
    sudo install -D -m755 neroAacEnc /usr/local/bin
    Unfortunately, it only takes wav input, so you have to pipe the input to it with avconv.

Code:
    avconv -i input.mp4 -vn -f wav - | neroAacEnc -if - -ignorelength -q 0.5 -of intermediate.m4a
    If you want to mix 5.1 surround sound audio to stereo (will reduce file size, probably a good idea for listening on headphones):

Code:
    avconv -i input.mp4 -vn -filter 'channelmap=map=DL-FL\,DR-FR' -f wav - | neroAacEnc -if - -ignorelength -q 0.5 -of intermediate.m4a
    -q works in a similar way to x264's -crf: it dictates the quality and size of the AAC audio. 0 is worst quality, 1 is best. You can probably reduce it to 0.4 or 0.35 without any noticeable loss in audio quality.

Then, encode the video and mux in the the newly-created AAC audio:

Code:
    avconv -i input.mp4 -i intermediate.m4a -map 0:v -map 1:a -c:a copy -c:v libx264 -crf 23 -preset veryfast output.mp4
    -map 0:v -map 1:a tells avconv to take the video from input 0 (input.mp4) and audio from input 1 (intermediate.m4a). When that's done, you can safely delete intermediate.m4a.

To test out this video encoding settings on a section of video, use -ss and -t, like so:

Code:
    avconv -i input.mp4 -i intermediate.m4a -map 0:v -map 1:a -c:a copy -c:v libx264 -crf 23 -preset veryfast -ss 00:10:00 -t 00:03:00 output.mp4
    This will encode a three minute clip, starting at ten minutes into the video.

Alternatively, you can install HandBrake from this PPA, and then do the whole thing with a nice & friendly GUI.
    Last edited by evilsoup; December 19th, 2012 at 07:05 PM.