Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatís the difference between Administrator and Root (Super user?) privileges?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Angry Whatís the difference between Administrator and Root (Super user?) privileges?

Hi, Iím currently using 12.04LTS Ė system restrictions wonít let me change it in my profile yet.

(Sorry if this post is a bit long itís grown as Iíve tried to make it clear and comprehensive.)

Iíve just installed a Samsung CLP-415NW/SEE as a network printer (WiFi) on my home network. Works fine on the mixed Win PCís & Android systems on the network. One PC is dual boot Ubuntu / Win.

In Ubuntu System settings I chose Printing/add printer and the system located and identified the new printer, it searched for drivers and came up recommending Samsung printers but this list did not include the CLP-415. (Itís a fairly new colour laser Ė 6 months or so).

There are no drivers for Ubuntu/Linux on the install disk; it just says to download a printer specific Linux driver from their website.

Which I did:
    Unified Linux driver CLP-410_0.86.tar.gz

The installation Instructions say;

1. Make sure that the machine is connected to your computer and powered on.

2. When the Administrator Login window appears, type ďrootĒ in the Login field and enter the system password.

(This donít work on Ubuntu and I log in as administrator anyway)

There is a note in the instructions:
    You must log in as a super user (root) to install the machine software. If you are not a super user, ask your system administrator.

3. From the Samsung website, download the Unified Linux Driver package to your computer.

4. Right-click the Unified Linux Driver package and extract the package.
    Double click cdroot > autorun.

I do this and chose RUN from the menu that appears. (Choosing Run in terminal produces the same result);
    At this point a pop up message appears saying;

You are not authorised to install the driver package.
    Only user with Root privileges is allowed to do this

So the rest below does not happen

5 When the welcome screen appears, click Next.

6 When the installation is complete, click Finish.

The installation program added the Unified Driver Configurator desktop icon and the Unified Driver group to the system menu for your convenience. If you have any difficulties, consult the on-screen help that is available through your system menu or from the driver package Windows applications, such as Unified Driver Configurator or Image Manager.

Any ideas please what I do next?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris
    Chris

As I get older I find myself wondering more about the hereafter -
    I walk into a room and wonder - - - - what I am here after?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Whatís the difference between Administrator and Root (Super user?) privileges?

It sounds like you are trying to run the installer from the file manager, Nautilus. You could try starting an instance of Nautilus using
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    from the terminal.

A couple of things, though. I tried the samsung unified linux drivers for my CLP-300, and if I recall rightly, I wasn't impressed. I don't remember what the problem was, but I am not using it anymore.

I also believe that the drivers for Linux on the CD from the printer left files belonging to root on the desktop. I had to use sudo to get rid of them. That is a bit of a vague memory, though. It was a few years back.

What you could try is to use one of the other drivers out of the list that Ubuntu offers. You might get lucky. I should add that the drivers for mine (foomatic something or other) don't do a very good job with colour. Black and white is ok.

What is behind this
    2. When the Administrator Login window appears, type “root” in the Login field and enter the system password.

(This don’t work on Ubuntu and I log in as administrator anyway)
    is that the root account is disabled in Ubuntu. The sudo mechanism is used to give the users who are allowed to use it root privileges. When the window pops up asking for your password, that is sudo working. To evoke sudo in a terminal, you need to type sudo before the command. You will be asked for your password, but will not see it as you type it.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Whatís the difference between Administrator and Root (Super user?) privileges?

I still do not remember to type sudo with commands that need it. But if I get that error message I know I need sudo.

Forum rules on root vs. sudo
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1486138
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo
    http://xkcd.com/149/
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Guys! the gksudo nautilius tip solved it.

I had tried running it in terminal under sudo but for whatever reason it was unsuccessful. Which was when I posted for help.

In Nautilius it ran OK, identified the printer as a network device, installed the driver & printed a colour/B&W test page. with no problems.

I had read some of the post's here about the problems with Samsung's Unified printer driver so time will tell.
    Chris

As I get older I find myself wondering more about the hereafter -
    I walk into a room and wonder - - - - what I am here after?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just answering the question in the title,

The root account is sometimes called superuser, perhaps because on many systems the su command is used to change your identity to root. As you probably know, sudo is used in ubuntu rather than su, because in ubuntu the rooot account password is locked so you can't login as root or su to root (sudo asks for your password, not the root password). Sometimes people refer to the root account as the administrator account, because administrator is the closest thing to root on windows.

In ubuntu, there is an admin group and it os only members of this group who are allowed to use the sudo command. Sometimes, people refer to members of this group as administrator accounts. So an "administrator" account in ubuntu could mean a couple of different things depending on who you are talking to.

Oh, and I gather that on windows, the administrator account does not have full rights to the machine. I have been told that there is a system account that only microsoft can make use of, that has rights that administrator account does not.
    Last edited by The Cog; December 18th, 2012 at 01:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks Cog. I knew all that vaguely, but would not have been able to formulate it so well.
    Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Just answering the question in the title,

The root account is sometimes called superuser, perhaps because on many systems the su command is used to change your identity to root. As you probably know, sudo is used in ubuntu rather than su, because in ubuntu the rooot account password is locked so you can't login as root or su to root (sudo asks for your password, not the root password). Sometimes people refer to the root account as the administrator account, because administrator is the closest thing to root on windows.

In ubuntu, there is an admin group and it os only members of this group who are allowed to use the sudo command. Sometimes, people refer to members of this group as administrator accounts. So an "administrator" account in ubuntu could mean a couple of different things depending on who you are talking to.

Oh, and I gather that on windows, the administrator account does not have full rights to the machine. I have been told that there is a system account that only microsoft can make use of, that has rights that administrator account does not.
    The account in Windows aside from Administrator is known as the System account, and it can be used though usually for underhanded purposes
    Just to be picky "In ubuntu, there is an admin group and it os only members of this group who are allowed to use the sudo command" is a legacy thing, Since 12.04 I think ? the sudo group is used as opposed to admin previously, the admin group remains for compatability

Edit: yeah i thought so, found a source https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango...Infrastructure
    Last edited by haqking; December 18th, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Do you have a source you could cite? I've certainly never heard that. Yes, the "real" Administrator account is disabled by default, but that's no different than Ubuntu disabling 'root'. As for a secret Microsoft-only account, that sounds to me like one for the tinfoil-hat crowd.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GordThompson View Post
    Do you have a source you could cite? I've certainly never heard that. Yes, the "real" Administrator account is disabled by default, but that's no different than Ubuntu disabling 'root'. As for a secret Microsoft-only account, that sounds to me like one for the tinfoil-hat crowd.
    read my post above.

There is the admin account to which the user has access and there is a system account which services rely on, the fact you switch to tinfoil hat as an assumption makes you paranoid

Open up your task manager in windows and look at the processes, some are using SYSTEM as the owner

The Cog was not implying some corporate underhand backdoor access

Edit: if you want a source apart from my vast array of experience, knowledge and above all my humility then here you go http://support.microsoft.com/kb/120929
    Last edited by haqking; December 18th, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    read my post above.

There is the admin account to which the user has access and there is a system account which services rely on, the fact you switch to tinfoil hat as an assumption makes you paranoid

Open up your task manager in windows and look at the processes, some are using SYSTEM as the owner

The Cog was not implying some corporate underhand backdoor access
    Okay, thanks. (Your reply snuck in before mine. I was typing it on my phone and it took way longer than it should have.) My apologies to The Cog for misinterpreting the post.

As for being paranoid, I'd love to chat about that but I gotta run. I'm being followed, you see....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast