Thread: Crossover has corrupted packages and update manager on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

Beans

Angry Crossover has corrupted packages and update manager on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

I attempted to install crossover_11.3.1-1_i386.deb on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit today and it's stuck on below error...i;m unable to correct errors....can anyone help me please

I attempted to remove and/or correct from within Synaptic, no progress. Synaptic keeps asking me to resolve dependencies/fix broken packages before it will install or remove anything further.

rd@RDBytes:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Correcting dependencies... failed.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    crossover:i386 : Depends: perl5-base:i386
    Depends: perl-modules:i386 but it is not installable
    Depends: python:i386 (>= 2.4) but it is not installed
    Depends: python-gtk2:i386 but it is not installed
    Depends: python-glade2:i386 but it is not installed
    Depends: desktop-file-utils:i386 but it is not installed
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    E: Unable to correct dependencies

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Crossover and 12.04

Scratch what I had here - it was wrong. I installed crossover in 64-bit 12.04 ok - mine is ia32-crossover_11.3.0-1_amd64.deb - I don't know - perhaps you don't have the 64-bit version?
    Last edited by squakie; December 17th, 2012 at 05:47 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rd79 View Post
    I attempted to install crossover_11.3.1-1_i386.deb on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit today and it's stuck on below error...i;m unable to correct errors....can anyone help me please

I attempted to remove and/or correct from within Synaptic, no progress. Synaptic keeps asking me to resolve dependencies/fix broken packages before it will install or remove anything further.

Building dependency tree
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Hi, and welcome to the Ubuntu forums! As a general guideline, please start a new thread if you are experiencing a different issue than the original poster.

That particular version of Crossover is out of date. I would recommend getting the new .deb version (currently at 12.0.0) directly from Codeweavers (http://www.codeweavers.com).

Mr. Hibba

Beans

Thannks Mr. Hibba. At the moment i'm neither able to remove nor install additional packages of any sort through terminal, ubuntu software center or synaptic. Any clue how i can remove packages.

Error i receive today is

Beans

Angry Crossover has corrupted packages and update manager on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

Building dependency tree

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This

Quote Originally Posted by rd79 View Post
    can be difficult. The program you are trying to install wants a newer version of a package than the one installed. If the newer one is not in the repositories, you have to risk breaking your system by installing the newer one (and figure out how to do that...) which might have follow on effects on other packages.

Having said that, this 10.04 install has Python v.2.6 in the repos. Have you looked in the software centre to see if there is any python installed at all, and if so, which version?

Mr. Hibba suggested you get a more current version on crossover. Have you tried that?

Regarding this
    At the moment i'm neither able to remove nor install additional packages of any sort
    you mean you can't install anything at all, even packages that have nothing to do with crossover?

First thing is to make sure your internet connection is ok. Second is the chance that the server your machine is trying to connect to has a problem. Try again later is the first step.

When neither of those can be suspected:

Firstly, do you make sure that you only have one program at a time running that is using apt, i.e. you can't have synaptic and the software centre running at the same time, you can't use apt-get in the terminal when either of those is open, you can't use any of them if the update manager is waiting for you to confirm and update.

If you think that apt might be confused, you could try the following commands.

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    causes packages that are waiting to be configured to be configured.
    Look at
    Code:
    man dpkg
    to read about dpkg, or
    Code:
    dpkg --help
    Then,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    causes the package list to be updated

and then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    cause all installed packages to be updated to the latest version available. This is not a version upgrade of the OS. That is a different option on apt-get.

For more on apt-get
    Code:
    man apt-get
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Crossover has corrupted packages and update manager on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

Posts from other thread merged with this thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    This

can be difficult. The program you are trying to install wants a newer version of a package than the one installed. If the newer one is not in the repositories, you have to risk breaking your system by installing the newer one (and figure out how to do that...) which might have follow on effects on other packages.

Having said that, this 10.04 install has Python v.2.6 in the repos. Have you looked in the software centre to see if there is any python installed at all, and if so, which version?

Mr. Hibba suggested you get a more current version on crossover. Have you tried that?

Regarding this

you mean you can't install anything at all, even packages that have nothing to do with crossover?

First thing is to make sure your internet connection is ok. Second is the chance that the server your machine is trying to connect to has a problem. Try again later is the first step.

When neither of those can be suspected:

Firstly, do you make sure that you only have one program at a time running that is using apt, i.e. you can't have synaptic and the software centre running at the same time, you can't use apt-get in the terminal when either of those is open, you can't use any of them if the update manager is waiting for you to confirm and update.

If you think that apt might be confused, you could try the following commands.

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    causes packages that are waiting to be configured to be configured.
    Look at
    Code:
    man dpkg
    to read about dpkg, or
    Code:
    dpkg --help
    Then,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    causes the package list to be updated

and then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    cause all installed packages to be updated to the latest version available. This is not a version upgrade of the OS. That is a different option on apt-get.

For more on apt-get
    Code:
    man apt-get
    Yes, i cannot install or remove any package from my system. I have gone through your suggestions and have attempting through Synaptic, Apt & USC individually/seperately/one-software-at-a-time, nothing seems to be help.