Thread: Unity disappeared after most recent updates

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unity disappeared after most recent updates

Hey all I had some really odd behavior (never had an issue before), but after the most recent set of update on restart, I had no launcher and no top bar. I did some digging and found that the unity plugin was completely gone from CCSM. I reinstalled the ubuntu-desktop and re-enabled the plugin and everything is working again. My question is does anyone know what specifically causes this problem? Was it updates, or is it possible my "bleachbit" cleanup caused it. I cannot remember the specific order. This type of issue is unacceptable to me and making me consider a distro switch if I have issues like this. Any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity disappeared after most recent updates

Are you still using the development release? Perhaps you should switch to 12.04.2 LTS if breakage in the development release is unacceptable to you. Are you using a proprietary video driver? Find a driver that works and do not update it. In Software Sources make sure that Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted) does not have a tick mark. Updates to proprietary video drivers often break things in my opinion.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; July 31st, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530