Thread: can no longer open files over network (NAS)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

can no longer open files over network (NAS)

I have a USB hard drive connected to my router and shared via Samba. I originally had no problems navigating to or opening files on that shared drive from my two Ubuntu 12.10 machines, but that suddenly changed for no reason I can identify; now I can navigate to them, but not open them.

When I try to open a video, the application starts and then hangs and has to be killed (no matter whether VLC, Totem, SMPlayer, etc., except gxine will play them on one of the machines but no the other machine).

When I try to open a document, LibreOffice Writer similarly starts, perpetually displaying the splash graphic, but never opens the document.

But I can copy files to and from the shared drive with no problems, and that's how I've been playing videos and working with documents for a couple of weeks while trying to figure out how to fix the problem. I've disconnected and reconnected the drive and removed the and recreated the share in my router's web interface, but that didn't help. The only thing I've noticed is that I can't access the shared drive if I open Nautilus as root with sudo.

Anyone have any suggestions what's going on?
    Here's a koan for you: "I feel more like I did when I first got here than I do now."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: can no longer open files over network (NAS)

I still haven't succeeded in figuring out a solution. Anyone have any ideas?
    Here's a koan for you: "I feel more like I did when I first got here than I do now."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Check the log files in /var/log/samba. See if there is anything obvious around the time it stopped working. Post anything that you don't understand.

Open a terminal:

Code:
    cd /var/log/samba
    ls -la
    less log.smbd
    Spacebar to page forward, "q" to quit. Check all of the files in the samba directory for errors.
    Last edited by tgalati4; January 7th, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How has the share been defined in smb.conf ?

If you are experiencing access issues, external HDD generally require 'force user = <valid-system-user-with-access>' parameter to be used
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mark it [SOLVED] if the issue has been resolved

Beans

I am experiencing exactly the same issues and behavior reported above by raydar when I try to edit files that are in my samba network shares (on my network file server running ubuntu 12.04 server edition, with terabyte raided drives). These shares are longstanding and have been trouble-free on my network, and they have not changed recently.

Although I can copy and move files, unopened, through the network via the samba share, I have the same issues described above in trying to open files in these samba shares with libreoffice--I'm getting a frozen splash screen and a hung application that has to be killed from the terminal. This happens with both libreoffice writer and spreadsheet documents. Once I get such a hang, I can no longer unmount the share. I did not observe this behavior happening until the last couple of days--previously, I was able to edit these same files in these same samba shares with no issues.

Interestingly, I can open and edit these same network files--with no problems--over an sftp: connection. Thus, I have convinced myself that it is not a problem with my Libreoffice installation and, rather, has something to do with samba.

Did something change in a recent samba update? Is there a known fix?

Thanks.

Barry
    Last edited by bkaplan; January 9th, 2013 at 04:12 AM.

Beans

Bump. Same issue for me. No fix yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

If you have the option of using NFS either in place of, or alongside, Samba, I'd definitely recommend that. I have both Samba and nfs-kernel-server running on my central file server. For sharing to *nix machines, NFS is definitely a better choice than Samba. That's especially true with streaming videos like the OP was talking about.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users