Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumbest, stupidest most moronic thing you've ever done in Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Dumbest, stupidest most moronic thing you've ever done in Linux?

In the spirit of humility that comes with the season, I thought I would pose this question:

What's the dumbest, stupidest most moronic thing you've ever done to/in Linux?

I'll start by admitting that I've rm-ed my / directory as root when first learning Linux. Back then, I'd just changed over from Mandrake, thought I knew everything and wasn't about to put up with this sudo nonsense, so I activated my root account. Not long afterwards, trying to clear out an insignificant minor subdirectory, I su-ed to root to momentarily administer something, was distracted by a phone call, and upon returning, brainlessly proceeded to execute my original intent on the worst possible directory.

I know, I know... has probably happened thousands of times. So not only is it moronic, it's not even original.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dumbest, stupidest most moronic thing you've ever done in Linux?

Back on Natty,i wanted to format a 20GB unused bit of the HDD, with Gnome Disk Utility. I highlighted the bit labelled "unallocated" and hit format... in an instant, it formated- but before i could stop the process, it had actually quick formatted the ENTIRE DRIVE.

I tried to use various tools to get my partition table back, someone here on the forums helped me to the best of their knowledge... but apparently it was too late. Anyway i no longer use Gnome's Disk Utility since, so that i wont make the same mistake,
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Dumbest, stupidest most moronic thing you've ever done in .......Windows.

Thats an easier one..........

Installed it.

Jocklad

Beans

Ill second that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I moved a partition containing Linux to make room for a Windows 8 install only to not check to make sure the partition moved correctly. Needless to say, it didn't, and I overwrote the partition when I installed Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!

Left my back-up HDD connected via USB and installed Linux (can't remember which distro or version)... then I saw it was busy formatting and partitioning a drive number I don't normally see, saw the drive and panicked and pulled out the cable... too late... RIP back-up of all important data :'(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I just did one today
    I was flashing the BIOS in a netbook and it fell off what I had balanced it on and onto a stone floor. About 10 inches!
    Much cursing and grumbling ensued.
    Remarkably it completed flashing and works OK.
    Tough little things these Asus eeepcs!

Beans

Changed the boot order of my netbook to boot from usb first and when i rebooted with a flash drive containing no os on it freaked out.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    I just did one today
    I was flashing the BIOS in a netbook and it fell off what I had balanced it on and onto a stone floor. About 10 inches!
    Much cursing and grumbling ensued.
    Remarkably it completed flashing and works OK.
    Tough little things these Asus eeepcs!
    They won't survive reversed polarity on the charger though - wispy smoke will issue from near the charger jack. How do I know that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What's the dumbest, stupidest most moronic thing you've ever done to/in Linux?
    Insulted Forum staff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast