Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Very real bugs in Raring

Beans

Re: Very real bugs in Raring

[QUOTE=mc4man;12408522]Likely because they use an older 0.9.x & not this[quote]

Really?!
    0.9.x is 09.0.x, where the x could be anything, but the series is the same.

You may want to spend a bit more time reading than writing
    Exactly pal, I've reading, not only the articles, but the something more too.

I guess there's no discounting people's perceptions, as weird as they may be.
    Isn't this your perception, as weird as they may be.

Good day!

Beans

Somethings to ponder about, Precise, Quantal and Raring, and also 13.10; Precise would end of life in April 2017, and by that time, Quantal and Raring would be long gone in April and in October 2014. The still unnamed 13.10 would also end life in April 2017. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS would arrive.

Until such time in April 2017, all four releases would be transit ones, testing the individual user, but not the enterprise user. The enterprise user is given a solid OS to live with, work with, Precise.

Everything in Precise work, even the Compiz 0.9.x, Nautilus, Unity2D...

In Quantal, then in Raring, and the one to come, apps would be tested, users would be tested...and the support would be taken off from all three, to allow a new LTS to come. That LTS, whether you like it or not, would be enterprise class, and directed to businesses. I suppose, you heard the Google guys, why they use Precise and won't change it.

You can, of course, install Linux kernel 3.7 in Precise, and if the still unnamed one would have 3.9, that too could be installed. Precise's development had stopped. There'd be very carefully thought out updates in Precise repos. You just can't break an enterprise release, can you?

This Raring and the next unnamed one would be the transitional testing ones, but the real release would come in April 2014. Lucid as a server installation lives untill April 2015!
    Even though Lucid as a desktop would end life in April 2013, it can still pull updates from repos untill April 2015.

Yes, I should've written "real bugs in Ubuntu", rather than Raring.
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 17th, 2012 at 12:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    Original by Chdslv
    Yes, I should've written "real bugs in Ubuntu", rather than Raring.
    Actually I got the idea from the very start of the thread. In addition I haven't found much to argue with in this thread from anyone. The whole thing has been informative and instructive.
    You efforts are appreciated at least from this old hack. Just know that as an experienced former professional I have yet to use an OS without bugs. Drats!!! Some of them were quickly regretted even by the developer. I'm thinking Windows ME but there were others.
    Best wishes and I'm also out of here!
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,
    Original by Chdslv

Actually I got the idea from the very start of the thread. In addition I haven't found much to argue with in this thread from anyone. The whole thing has been informative and instructive.
    You efforts are appreciated at least from this old hack. Just know that as an experienced former professional I have yet to use an OS without bugs. Drats!!! Some of them were quickly regretted even by the developer. I'm thinking Windows ME but there were others.
    Best wishes and I'm also out of here!
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!
    Greetings!

True, there are no OSs without bugs. You know, while Precise is quite alright, in this "development" fervour, certain apps had been taken away, saying they can't maintain them, which is disappointing.

Unity 2D would live until April 2017 in Precise. Compiz 0.9.x would too in its full blast. The same Compiz 0.9.x cannot work Quantal and Raring as well as in Precise. And, I cannot take that as development, but as regression.

I am betting that, someone found out that Unity launcher and dash could be implemented in any panel and in any WM, without the Unity prison, so was taken off, changed the libraries so no one would get it implemented in Quantal, Raring or the one is to come. It would've been a big loss, if someone released a distro/Os with the Gnome panel, Lxde panel or Xfce panel and with a cut down launcher and the Dash.

I am from the pre-286 days, so old as you are or more.

Take care!

Ch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    Really?!
    0.9.x is 09.0.x, where the x could be anything, but the series is the same.
    Not the same. The version numbering may be different, but a lot of stuffs has happened (OpenGL ES port,...) Version numbering does not indicate the development process, though in most cases it does.

You know why Linus decided to move Linux from 2.6.a.lot.of.numbers to 3? Not because of some life-changing features introduced, simply because he is fed of the numbers. The man himself said that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    So what are the big changes? NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Sure, we have the usual two thirds driver changes, and a lot of random fixes, but the point is that 3.0 is *just* about renumbering, we are very much *not* doing a KDE-4 or a Gnome-3 here. No breakage, no special scary new features, nothing at all like that. We've been doing time-based releases for many years now, this is in no way about features. If you want an excuse for the renumbering, you really should look at the time-based one ("20 years") instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    I am betting that, someone found out that Unity launcher and dash could be implemented in any panel and in any WM, without the Unity prison, so was taken off, changed the libraries so no one would get it implemented in Quantal, Raring or the one is to come. It would've been a big loss, if someone released a distro/Os with the Gnome panel, Lxde panel or Xfce panel and with a cut down launcher and the Dash.
    We've already explained several times in this thread why Unity 2D and several Compiz plugins were dropped (basically it requires challenging technical work and nobody volunteered to do it).

Your conspiracy theories and verbosity about stuff you don't understand is getting pretty annoying to those of us who are working to make Ubuntu better. I'm not saying that you can't have opinions, but your attitude is rather confrontational and you clearly don't have all the facts straight.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This isn't going anywhere very fast, in fact it's fast catching up with it's tail.

Closed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456