Thread: 2 hard disk combined

Beans

2 hard disk combined

I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 64bit. I have Windows-8 64bit installed as well.

I have 3 partitions, C:\, F:\, and G:\. The G drive is simple a recovery drive and 8GB is size -it's fine. The C and F drives are almost 40GB each. I save all my music and movies on the F drive. The C drive has my windows sytem and program folders. For some reason, Ubuntu combined the two drives (F and C) into one 75GB drive, and i can't find my music or movies anywhere (all the windows system and program folders are there).

However, when I reboot and start windows 8, all the drives are present.

Any help would be greatly appreciated -thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 2 hard disk combined

Quote Originally Posted by sammurutto View Post
    I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 64bit. I have Windows-8 64bit installed as well.

I have 3 partitions, C:\, F:\, and G:\. The G drive is simple a recovery drive and 8GB is size -it's fine. The C and F drives are almost 40GB each. I save all my music and movies on the F drive. The C drive has my windows sytem and program folders. For some reason, Ubuntu combined the two drives (F and C) into one 75GB drive, and i can't find my music or movies anywhere (all the windows system and program folders are there).

However, when I reboot and start windows 8, all the drives are present.

Any help would be greatly appreciated -thank you.
    Could you explain the set up again please.

How many physical hard drives do you have?
    Which drive and partition is Windows installed on?
    Which drive and partition is Ubuntu installed on?
    Last edited by bwallum; March 25th, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Itch: Think Hula hoop, positive on top, negative on bottom, roll it. Is it a wave or a particle? Is it a photon? Is a photon a dipole? Are we all made of light!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bwallum View Post
    Could you explain the set up again please.

How many physical hard drives do you have?
    Which drive and partition is Windows installed on?
    Which drive and partition is Ubuntu installed on?
    I'm sorry by "2 hard disks combined" i actually meant "2 partitions".

To answer your questions: 1 physical hard drive. Windows on C: and Ubuntu on F:
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Well, as a start look at how ubuntu sees these partitions. Post the output of terminal code:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    and take it from there.

just try'n to help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    Well, as a start look at how ubuntu sees these partitions. Post the output of terminal code:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    and take it from there.

just try'n to help
    I made another mistake. Both the F and C drives are almost 75GB each. So basically, my F drive is not showing (the one with the music and Ubuntu installed). Thanks for your help! The code is pasted below.

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0ed37f7f

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 63 147091139 73545538+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2 147091140 164425274 8667067+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 164425275 312576704 74075715 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If this is a Wubi installation then the drive that the Ubuntu filesystem lives on is mounted on /host.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

sammurutto;
    Additional info -> a matter of semantics. In Windows designations of "drive a, drive b, drive c" are in actuality often the partitions on a single hard drive that in ubuntu is portrayed more correctly as 1st physical hard drive = sda, 2nd HD = sdb, 3rd HD = sdc (a,b,c) and the partitions on these physical hard drives are represented with a appended number; sda1 = 1st hard drive AND 1st partition; sda2 = 1st hard drive 2nd partition, sdc5 = 3rd hard drive 5th partition.

Now, your fdisk output; A single hard drive with only (3) Window's partitions(NTFS) on it. Thus the surmise that you have ubuntu installed inside of Windows as "wubi".

I have no experience with wubi and therefore maybe of limited assistance. I will offer what I can if I can help.

your system, your operation -> what do you want to do

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    If this is a Wubi installation then the drive that the Ubuntu filesystem lives on is mounted on /host.
    Thank you so much. I found all of my music

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    sammurutto;
    Additional info -> a matter of semantics. In Windows designations of "drive a, drive b, drive c" are in actuality often the partitions on a single hard drive that in ubuntu is portrayed more correctly as 1st physical hard drive = sda, 2nd HD = sdb, 3rd HD = sdc (a,b,c) and the partitions on these physical hard drives are represented with a appended number; sda1 = 1st hard drive AND 1st partition; sda2 = 1st hard drive 2nd partition, sdc5 = 3rd hard drive 5th partition.

Now, your fdisk output; A single hard drive with only (3) Window's partitions(NTFS) on it. Thus the surmise that you have ubuntu installed inside of Windows as "wubi".

I have no experience with wubi and therefore maybe of limited assistance. I will offer what I can if I can help.

your system, your operation -> what do you want to do
    Thank you for all your help. I feel so incompetent But yes, apparently it is a "wubi" installation and I found what I was looking for. Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

sammurutto;

Pleased things are working out for you. ubuntu is a different operating system but not hard at all to learn. Hang in there, just a matter of time.

Please mark this thread as solved, aids others seeking solutions and the helpers time.
    Interim Method:
    Go to the first post in your thread. Click on "Edit Post". Now click on the orange "Go Advanced" button. In the advanced editor change the prefix to "SOLVED". Now click on the orange "Save Changes" button.
    Problem still ? -> graphical instruction:==>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Happy ubunt'n