Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 LiveUSB Problem

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 LiveUSB Problem

This my personal work. It's clearly based upon the idea in this thread. My script is synchronized with the brightness slider. This is the final and correct solution what we needed I am still looking for a way to do it without nvidiabl. I believe we dont need nvidiabl at all since I can control brightness from nvidia-settings. Don't forget to give me credits for my solution if you post it elsewhere !

How it works? /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness contains the brightness value when the brightness keys are pressed. But the brightness doesn't change. I noticed this value has a range of 0-15. But the range of the nvidiabl is 0- 127. with some quick math I came with a formula y=15+8x where x represents the brightness value of the keys, and y is the actual brightness./sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/max_brightness contains the maximum brightness, actually I can use this in my script and use remainders and few other things to make my script universal. It's very easy actually. I did not make it universal since I like to have every bit of performance.

1. Install latest nvidiabl debian package from https://github.com/guillaumezin/nvidiabl/downloads
    2. Now open the terminal and type
      Code:
      $ sudo gedit /etc/acpi/events/lenovo_backlight_up
      Enter
      Code:
      event=video LCD 00000086 00000000
      action=/etc/acpi/lenovo_backlight.sh
      And now save and close the file.

Code:
      $ sudo gedit /etc/acpi/events/lenovo_backlight_down
      Enter
      Code:
      event=video LCD 00000087 00000000
      action=/etc/acpi/lenovo_backlight.sh

Code:
      $ sudo gedit /etc/acpi/events/lenovo_backlight.sh
      Enter
      Code:
      #!/bin/bash
      test -f /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness || exit 0
      NEW_VALUE=`cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness`
      let BRIGHTNESS=$NEW_VALUE*8+7
      echo -n $BRIGHTNESS > /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness
    3. Now let's set the necessary permissions for all the files we need to access
      Code:
      $ sudo chmod +x /etc/acpi/lenovo_backlight.sh
      sudo chown YOURUSERNAME /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness
    4. Now let's load nvidiabl at boot time, in terminal type:
      Code:
      sudo gedit /etc/modules
      add to the bottom:
      Code:
      nvidiabl
      close and save.
    5. reboot

This is the best method, Now the brightness is synchronized with the brightness slider applet.

Don't forget to buy me a beer if you like it
    donation link
    Last edited by jonashendrickx; April 23rd, 2013 at 09:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by beatgeek View Post
    For those who are having a problem with maximum brightness, which version of the NVIDIA driver are you using? When I tried the most recent version (313.26 I think), I had problems with the brightness being too low (and it kept switching between high and low brightness on its own for no reason). I switched back to version-current-updates (304.88... I'm actually running linux mint 13, based on ubuntu precise) and it works perfectly.
    I'm using version 313.30. I'll try downgrading the nvidia driver.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by b3nj4m View Post
    I'm using version 313.30. I'll try downgrading the nvidia driver.
    Downgrading to the 304 series does make the max brightness issue go away. However, I wouldn't consider this a fix since I'm now stuck with an old display driver :/

Is there any hope of nvidiabl being updated to work with the 313 series?

Beans

Thanks for the brightness fixes guys! For those that can't get the Ubuntu to install via USB (original topic), here is what I did:

Edit the boot/grub/grub.conf:

1) Change where it says "set gfxmode=auto" to "set gfxmode=1920x1080"
    2) Under "Install Ubuntu", change "quiet splash" to "nomodeset=1"

Use UEFI, but disable secure boot, and hold F12 while booting to choose the USB disk. Ubuntu should show up at the proper size. (If your display is lower resolution adjust the "1920x1080" to something more appropriate.)

Beans

For a complete solution to the install: http://askubuntu.com/questions/27257.../290358#290358

Worked great for me.

Beans

I'm still having trouble getting the nvidiabl module to work. I have tried a couple different versions of the Nvidia driver (310 and 304 I think), and various versions from 72 to most recent of the nvidiabl module but
    Code:
    sudo modprobe nvidiabl
    still gives
    Code:
    ERROR: could not insert 'nvidiabl': No such device
    and
    Code:
    /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backligh/brightness
    still does not exist

Code:
    /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video/brightness
    Does exist, but of course it doesn't do anything as it seems that is the file that gets changed by default.

P.S. I have the gt 750m card. Maybe that's the problem?

Beans

GUYS GUYS! I found something else that works for me!

xbacklight

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xbacklight
    I haven't tried hooking it up to the slider with your scripts yet, but I think it will work

(Not sure if this will work for the 650m. I currently have the 750m with the 310 driver installed

Hmmm trying to get a script going for xbacklight. Seems that /etc/acpi/events is not hearing my "video LCD 00000086 00000000" signal because the script I connected it to isn't running (I did mark it executable). But I know that the signal is being picked up _somehow_ because it changes the Ubuntu brightness indicator thing.
    Last edited by gentix; May 7th, 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Beans

Any updates on brightness control for GT750M? The most recent nvidia drivers (319.17?) work perfectly except for brightness control. Same thing for most recent nouveau driver, actually.
    I've tried putting acpi_osi=Linux, acpi_osi="!Windows 2012", acpi_backlight=vendor as kernel parameters. Tried xbacklight too. As it is, the battery runs out way too quickly due to max brightness.

Beans

I managed to successfully load nvidiabl. I thought I had done so earlier. Saw a message at boot that no supported graphics card was detected. So, I checked the nvidiabl-gpu.h file at the github page, and can confirm that GT650M is listed there, but not the GT750M. All that is needed is to add this line:

Code:
    NVIDIABL_DECLARE_GPU_MODEL(0x0fe4, nv5x_driver_data),

to make it work! Dont have time or know-how to recompile with that line, so will have to wait for now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beatgeek View Post
    For those who are having a problem with maximum brightness, which version of the NVIDIA driver are you using? When I tried the most recent version (313.26 I think), I had problems with the brightness being too low (and it kept switching between high and low brightness on its own for no reason). I switched back to version-current-updates (304.88... I'm actually running linux mint 13, based on ubuntu precise) and it works perfectly.
    OK I was having the low-brightness problem too. I'm on 319.49 and nvidiabl 0.81. Anyways, to get my brightness back up, try experimenting with the max:

sudo modprobe -r nvidiabl #removes the module
    sudo modprobe nvidiabl max=20000 #experiment with this number

then:
    cd /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight
    echo 127 | sudo tee brightness

If it's bright enough, then great. Otherwise, start at the beginning, and up the max. It takes some experimenting; for me, I had to put like 100000 to get the brightness up.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast