Thread: Digital Output(S/PDIF) not working/no sound

Digital Output(S/PDIF) not working/no sound

Hello.
    I'm using Ubuntu 12.10.
    My laptop has a digital sound output, which works fine on w7.
    I cannot use it on Ubuntu, analog works fine but when I switch to digital I get no sound.

I am NEW to ubuntu, so try to keep it simple in case you got some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Digital Output(S/PDIF) not working/no sound

I checked alsa mixer, in Pulse.

(S/PDIF) is off, as you can see.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by GodspeedyouBlackEmperor; December 16th, 2012 at 05:44 AM.

Beans

I only have 12.04 0n my computers but it is probably the same on 12.10 so here goes:

Install PulseAudio Volume Control from the Software Centre. This will allow you to configure your sound device and the S/PDIF port.

In the Configuration Tab select a Profile with "Digital" May require trial and error if several options.

In the Output Devices tab check AC3, DTS etc.. as by default S/PDIF will not pass these through.

P.S.
    For the ALSA Mixer GUI version you can install GNOME ALSA Mixer

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpike16 View Post
    I only have 12.04 0n my computers but it is probably the same on 12.10 so here goes:

Install PulseAudio Volume Control from the Software Centre. This will allow you to configure your sound device and the S/PDIF port.

In the Configuration Tab select a Profile with "Digital" May require trial and error if several options.

In the Output Devices tab check AC3, DTS etc.. as by default S/PDIF will not pass these through.

P.S.
    For the ALSA Mixer GUI version you can install GNOME ALSA Mixer
    There are 2 digital profiles available, I tried both.
    I did check all the formats, in both, and still no sound. The digital output is still inactive in the ALSA mixer.

Thanks for the tip.

edit: I wonder if switching 12.04 would fix this problem.
    Last edited by GodspeedyouBlackEmperor; December 16th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.

Beans

Been a few months since I fixed this myself so I looked at my setup and I had disabled the
    HMDI device (I have nvidia GPU HDMI and onboard audio device) in the Configuration Tab.

I remember now that the HDMI audio output and S/PDIF cannot both be enabled.

I played around and found that I can enable the HMDI device and mute it's output and
    the S/PDIF will be enabled too. You need to reboot the computer for some settings
    changes to take effect. Try this if you don't have a separate HDMI device

Note: You may need to maximize the PulseAudio Volume Control window or scroll down to see other outputs in the Output Devices Tab.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpike16 View Post
    Been a few months since I fixed this myself so I looked at my setup and I had disabled the
    HMDI device (I have nvidia GPU HDMI and onboard audio device) in the Configuration Tab.

I remember now that the HDMI audio output and S/PDIF cannot both be enabled.

I played around and found that I can enable the HMDI device and mute it's output and
    the S/PDIF will be enabled too. You need to reboot the computer for some settings
    changes to take effect. Try this if you don't have a separate HDMI device

Note: You may need to maximize the PulseAudio Volume Control window or scroll down to see other outputs in the Output Devices Tab.
    I see.
    Do you know how to simply disable it? I don't need to mute it, I won't be using it.
    I have been trying to disable it but nothing still.

Beans

All of my devices in Configuration Tab have an Profile option of Off. It is the last entry
    when you scroll down so you may have missed it.

If I am reading your reply correctly, you have more than one device in the Configuration Tab and one of them is for HDMI audio. If you don't have this then muting the output
    in the Output devices is your best bet. To disable the HDMI otherwise will involve changing system configuration file(s) etc.. and not worth the effort if muting works.

Remember you must reboot your computer so changes can take effect.

So, I muted both HDMI profiles.
    Selected the digital profile and restarted the computer.

I played some music and no sound still.
    What I am trying to do is to connect my receiver through digital, like I do on w7.
    So, I noticed, the receiver gets no signal, then when I unplug the jack and plug it back into the digital output, it automatically selects analog output and the sound starts coming out of the laptop speakers again.

Beans

If you can now unmute the S/PDIF and it stays that way then hopefully there is some progress now and there is also another problem now. Make sure this is Ok and it didn't change on you.

Funny thing is after playing around with my settings again, S/PDIF will now mute (off)
    and unmute no matter what HDMI audio output is set for - weird.

It is on my HTPC that I am using S/PDIF to my stereo receiver (and HDMI for video).

From the top menu bar open the Sound Settings. Click on the Digital Output if not highlighted and use the Test Sound. Do you hear sound through the S/PDIF. If yes then
    play your music and see if the output changed to Analog Output. If it did then click on
    Digital Output and see if audio comes through.

Also try other applications like a movie player and see what happens. On a past install I had the audio being muted and had to track it down and you could have something similar.

There is also a possibility that something is broken in 12.10 too.