Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lockups with some gtk applications

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lockups with some gtk applications

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    PS: I don't run an update on my wife's computer until I know mine will work .
    Bwahahahaha!

Happy wife -- Happy life!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    Original by VinDSL
    Bwahahahaha!

Happy wife -- Happy life!
    +1

rrnbtter

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Using a testing version as your main system exclusively, isn't recommended. There have been several times over the last few cycles, where the system has become totally unusable for days at a time. I always recommend that you have a previous version as a backup, just in case. You may never need it, but at least you do have a safety net.
    Right. But (it might be just me, I admit) using testing version to do all the work as if it is only machine You've got is the only way to really test that version... Anything else (again, in my book) is missing a target...
    I know this is off-topic and I stop here.
    The only reason I've wrote my message above is because after months people do search and come across this kind of message, erase their folders and do complain... Over&out...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Right. But (it might be just me, I admit) using testing version to do all the work as if it is only machine You've got is the only way to really test that version... Anything else (again, in my book) is missing a target...
    I know this is off-topic and I stop here.
    The only reason I've wrote my message above is because after months people do search and come across this kind of message, erase their folders and do complain... Over&out...
    I totally agree that we should be using Raring as much as possible for day-to-day usage, but having an install to fall back on can be a great help in chasing a problem on an unresponsive/broken system. I'm currently chasing a problem with network-manger and the broadcom wl drivers. Any network related functions and sudo don't work on the system at the present time, so being able to access it from a working install is a great help.

The one thing we don't suggest often enough, is to create a second user, on a system where the hidden configuration files may be a problem.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I totally agree that we should be using Raring as much as possible for day-to-day usage, but having an install to fall back on can be a great help in chasing a problem on an unresponsive/broken system. I'm currently chasing a problem with network-manger and the broadcom wl drivers. Any network related functions and sudo don't work on the system at the present time, so being able to access it from a working install is a great help.

The one thing we don't suggest often enough, is to create a second user, on a system where the hidden configuration files may be a problem.
    I've never disputed that...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    I'm going to throw in one more bit of opinion on this line of discussion and then I'm giving it up because it is way off topic. Plus this hasn't been mentioned and should for the new user.
    If you do decide to run a development (testing) version as your primary system, leave "proposed updates" turned OFF in your update settings and absolutely avoid "partial updates". This should get you by most of the "bad ones". Plus all of the suggestions in this thread are valid. I'm just an old hack that doesn't care. And I'm moving on to something else.
    It's been a fun thread.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well I managed to migrate to a new user profile, which works fine for me because a new profile just feels better anyway

BTW, since running Ubuntu from 7.10 till now, I've only once had a system get so bad that I had to reinstall, and that was because I didn't know how to fix a "broken" kernel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12