Thread: How Do I know If This Is Safe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How Do I know If This Is Safe?

So to get my video card working properly on my computer I have found some "hacks" and software that I need to install. How do I know if these hacks are safe or not? Its nothing against the author of the hacks, I am just wondering generally how someone would know, or if we are suppose to just trust that everything is fine.

For example I am suppose to install code from https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch and do various things based on this post

I would appreciate any thoughts. I hope this post does not offend the creators of that code/steps. I am just covering all my bases.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: How Do I know If This Is Safe?

One way to find out is to see if other folks have used it and if they then encountered any problems. You should do searched for Bumblebee in other forum sections to see what threads are there.

Other than that, there's not much else you can do. IF you were to contact the developer of the code, OF COURSE they will tell you it is safe. Anyone trying to distribute malicious code (which, this is NOT), is unlikely to admit to it.

If you're really concerned about damage, the best thing to do is to use something like Clonezilla to image off your current install to an external drive, so if something goes terribly wrong, you have a quick and easy way to restore the install to the prior state.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The project is well known and has a launchpad page also listing team members. They are in now way attempting to conceal anything.
    for these reasons I would not be afraid of malicious content.
    https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee

Github is a code host and code is reviewed by (voluntary)team members prior posting depending on the group/project. Github should have an identity verified symbol in the browser when using an official page.

This by no means, indicates the code is bug free and will work properly on every system. Unofficial projects always use at your own risk.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; December 15th, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok, thanks for the input. What about things like the code causing the hardware to malfunction. Say overheat. Is this always a possibility with the hope that it wont happen? Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmp6nl View Post
    Ok, thanks for the input. What about things like the code causing the hardware to malfunction. Say overheat. Is this always a possibility with the hope that it wont happen? Thanks.
    that code in question just turns on and off the graphic card.

It will not cause your machine to overhead because I am using the code right now
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks everyone.