Thread: Totally lost now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Totally lost now!

Trying to install VBox and having problems there so decided to look into doing a format and start over on 12.04. Haven't been able to do that because I can't get into anything like Terminal because it does not accept my password.

Any ideas?
    HP EliteBook 2530p 120GiB HDD, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU L9400 1.86GHz X2, Moile Intel GM45 Express Chipset, OS is 64 bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Totally lost now!

It's normal not to see anything echoed to the screen when entering your password; just type it in and hit Enter.

Beans
    Hidden!

You won't see the asterixes or anything like that, like you do in windows. Just type it in and hit enter, it will either accept or tell you if you entered the wrong password.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishingphil View Post
    decided to look into doing a format and start over on 12.04. Haven't been able to do that because I can't get into anything like Terminal because it does not accept my password.
    Do you mean that when you restart your machine it won't let you log in at all, or can you at least get to the Ubuntu desktop (after you first log in)?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GordThompson View Post
    Do you mean that when you restart your machine it won't let you log in at all, or can you at least get to the Ubuntu desktop (after you first log in)?
    No, could log in but SUDO would not accept password. Several other problems too so just did a complete reinstallation from disc of 12.04.

Now I'm going crazy trying to remember all that was there before.

BTW, anybody know how to do screenshots?

SNAFU is my word for the day!
    HP EliteBook 2530p 120GiB HDD, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU L9400 1.86GHz X2, Moile Intel GM45 Express Chipset, OS is 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishingphil View Post
    BTW, anybody know how to do screenshots?
    Hitting the [Print Screen] key will take a snapshot of the entire screen. For something with a few more options, check out the "Screenshot" application.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GordThompson View Post
    Hitting the [Print Screen] key will take a snapshot of the entire screen. For something with a few more options, check out the "Screenshot" application.
    Got it! Thanks Gord. Didn't realize there was a button for that until you mentioned and I looked around.

Beans
    Distro

Does anybody know where I can find the directions on how to change from the desktop with the slider bar to the left to the older version with the task bar at the top and selections along the bar for getting to the software, programs, etc?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Yahoo!!! Merci Beaucoup, Muchas Gracias, Domo Arrigato Gozaimasu. That's the one and supre easy to follow. Don't feel quite so lost now.

Guess I can call this one solved!