Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Does mate desktop enviroment cut it? What's its future?

Beans

Re: Does mate desktop enviroment cut it? What's its future?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocket1233c View Post
    And I wouldn't mind MATE in Ubuntu, it would be a nice option alongside Unity, GNOME Shell, KDE, LXDE, Xfce, and Cinnamon.
    http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Marzata View Post
    No practical reason to use anything else than Xfce (Xubuntu). Really.
    It's all a matter of preferences

I actually find Lubuntu much more to my liking than Xubuntu, more importantly I don't think there can be too many options.

I do a lot of testing - because it beats the heck out of building jigsaw puzzles or playing games - and I find that after I use almost any DE, such as Unity or Gnome Shell, I actually find myself missing some features when I change to a different DE

If I were smart enough I'd build a fork of this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

For sure a fork of Metacity, and that version of Gnome panel, but with the PCManFM file manager ...... and an absolute minimum of installed apps, with options to install the preferred apps sort of like Puppy does

But I'm not smart enough, and I'm just old enough I get dumber every day, so I test and tweak

Beans

Just thought to add, I don't quite understand the need to fork some of the apps Mate has chosen to. I understand the need to fork Metacity, Gnome panel + applets, and even Nautilus ......... but why fork Eye of Gnome, Evince, and Gedit?

That list is incomplete but I'd prefer seeing as little duplication of apps as possible

Beans

MATE's moved one step closer to being included in the Debian and Ubuntu repos, with a Fix Committed status in Debian packaging:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/876675

Now, considering that the Debian import freeze for Ubuntu Raring (13.04) is February 14th, I have doubts that the MATE DE will be included in Raring.

But having performed iso-testing since Hardy I'd guess that they may be there in 13.10 ...... almost certainly by 14.04. But my time machine is broken so I could be all wet

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JohneG View Post
    Before i start this off, this is NOT a hate thread for any desktop environment. To the mods, i know that there have been many discussions about various DE's recently but i'd hope this is different.

With all the hate for various DE's, why are people still criticising the move away from Gnome 2 when there is Mate? Is there something wrong with it? Does it not live up to gnome 2? I'm just curious as to what people who complain about unity and gnome shell are using if they are giving out so much about them.

I really enjoy all DE's. I actually find it hard to fault any, if you realise what they are aimed towards. I think they all have something great to offer.

So my main question really is, if people are giving out about the new DE's, what are they using and if they aren't cutting it, why are they still criticising the newer ones?
    I guess the main problem for the MATE developers in the days to come will be if they can muster enough manpower to keep all parts of the MATE codebase, including the GTK2 layer, updated with rest of the fast moving Linux ecosystem. In other words, they'll have to put in work equivalent to the combined efforts of the GNOME3 and GTK3 teams at the very least, or MATE will get left behind slowly but surely by the rest of the OS components. It's possible but a tough ask I guess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Just thought to add, I don't quite understand the need to fork some of the apps Mate has chosen to. I understand the need to fork Metacity, Gnome panel + applets, and even Nautilus ......... but why fork Eye of Gnome, Evince, and Gedit?

That list is incomplete but I'd prefer seeing as little duplication of apps as possible
    My understanding (and I freely admit I could be incorrect here) is that when the GNOME developers decided to go with Gnome Shell they anticipated resistance from the userbase so deliberately wrote the code in such a way it breaks apps if you don't rename and fork everything to be compatible. It isn't so much that the MATE developers want to fork everything, they don't have much of a choice. At least that's my understanding of things, I hope someone will please correct me if I'm wrong here.

--bornagainpenguin
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456