Thread: Installing Ubuntu (and flavours) on a new computer with Windows 8

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Installing Ubuntu (and flavours) on a new computer with Windows 8

Hi all,
    I'm planning to buy a new computer, a Dell XPS 8500, which comes with Windows 8. I read a bit about it, and it seems like installing Linux on Windows 8 computers may give me problems, due to EFI, UEFI and other things that aren't compatible with GRUB or something like that...
    Could somebody explain it to me, and if it's possible to install Linux as always has been done on a "new" Windows 8 computer?

Catbuntu
    Catbuntu (blog)
    CPU→Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,00GHz. RAM3GB. Graphics card→NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS. O.S.→Ubuntu 14.04 «Trusty Tahr» 64 bit
    [TPI Blog | TPI GitHub ]

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu (and flavours) on a new computer with Windows 8

In order to install Ubuntu on a windows 8 computer you have to go into
    the BIOS F2 usually. Look for the boot tab select boot order, then look for the UEFI secure boot and disable it. then reboot and Ubuntu will install normally. I hope this will help you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The first thing you can do is use Ubuntu 12.10. It comes with a kernel that has been signed with a Microsoft security key. This will deal with the secure boot issue.

http://web.dodds.net/~vorlon/wiki/bl..._Ubuntu_12.10/

But be prepared for problems. Note this:

The Ubuntu first-stage EFI bootloader is signed by Microsoft, but the key that is used for signing is one that's recommended by Microsoft, not one that's required by the Windows 8 certification requirements. Will all hardware include this key in practice
    The second thing that you should accept is that in trying to do this, you become an experimenter. There are several threads on this forum about people trying to do this. The answers are not yet complete.

Here are 2 examples:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2093362

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2090970

My advice would be to proceed with caution and study what steps you have to do to fix things if things go wrong. Remember, hardware makers only care about getting Windows 8 working acceptably on their machines. They are not interested in abiding by standards that would make a linux install more successful.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; December 14th, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

If you decide to dual-boot, not to wipe Win8, then be SURE to use the Win8 Disk Management utility to shrink the Win8 OS partition to make room for Ubuntu.

Using the Ubuntu installer, or GParted, runs the risk of corrupting the Win8 filesystem -- which will then render it unbootable.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@COMECON, this community documentation page may be useful to you:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

One user with Dell worked after some effort.

Dell XPS 8500, desktop. Win 8 eventually worked (Ignore sidetrack to EasyBCD)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2086383

Most systems also need a setting called fast boot or quick boot turned off. Some systems have worked with secure boot on, some with it turned off and some have UEFI that have bugs.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks to all the replies,
    I think I won't be really using Windows 8, so I can (and maybe preffer) formating the entire disk, installing Ubuntu or whatever, and then my old Windows 7.
    If I do this, will I have to do any extra steps too, or will all the "UEFI problems" disappear after formating?

Catbuntu
    Catbuntu (blog)
    CPU→Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,00GHz. RAM3GB. Graphics card→NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS. O.S.→Ubuntu 14.04 «Trusty Tahr» 64 bit
    [TPI Blog | TPI GitHub ]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I thought there might be Windows driver issues. Windows 8 are new systems that have newer drivers and I think I saw where they said they would not provide drivers for Windows 7. I am sure to make you stay with Windows 8. Plus your Windows 7 was only licensed for one system, so you would need a new copy.

The UEFI/BIOS supposedly can revert to BIOS mode. Have not seen anyone do that with a Windows 8 system, but some have installed Ubuntu in BIOS mode on Windows, but then had to convert to UEFI mode to be able to dual boot.

You also then are back to MBR(msdos) 4 primary partition limit as Windows only boots from gpt partitioned drives with UEFI. Ubuntu can boot from gpt with BIOS or UEFI or MBR with with BIOS.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.