Thread: Webcam causing usb ports to shutdown. Moved here from ABS.

Beans

Webcam causing usb ports to shutdown. Moved here from ABS.

I haven't gotten anything from Absolute beginners forum so I thought I would try here.

This is what I posted:

Ubuntu 11.10

Just bought a logitech c310 camera. I have installed Cheese and know that my camera does work. The problem is that when I turn on the camera it works but when I turn it off or try to connect to it from a website, the rest of the usb ports shut off. I notice this because my wireless usb shuts down and I get no internet.

After trying to reopen the camera Cheese says there is no device and my wireless internet usb will not work either. I have to reboot just to have the usb port recognize the wireless adapter and the camera.

Every time I try to turn on webcam it works. I then turn off the cam and it shuts down all usb ports. Maybe the usb port power management is screwy but I don't know how to change those settings.

Please help and Thank You!!!

I should add as well that my sound drivers seem to disable when before they did not. I can usually refresh it with 'sudo /sbin/alsa force-reload' but if that doesn't work I have to reboot it all.

Beans

Re: Webcam causing usb ports to shutdown. Moved here from ABS.

can anyone help??
    Last edited by skullnbones; December 15th, 2012 at 02:49 AM.

Beans

So, for anyone that may find this handy. From what I am seeing the usb ports are not giving a sufficient amount of power to run my webcam, wireless adapter and keyboard/mouse.

Solution??? I don't know, but http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/power-management.txt has some good info to change power settings to the usb ports.

Any help is still appreciated!!

There seems to be a bug: cannot save even with sudo permissions.
    Last edited by skullnbones; December 16th, 2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Bug

Beans

look for powered usb hub

Beans

chadk5utc, I was just looking on Amazon for them! I think that is the only way around this. Thanks for you response!! I really appreciate it!