Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: convert mp4 to avi same quality ffmpeg?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

convert mp4 to avi same quality ffmpeg?

How can I convert an mp4 video to an avi with the same quality, same bitrate, same codec, same audio quality, same screen resolution with ffmpeg from the command line?

I tried to convert a 100mb mp4 file with the following command

ffmpeg -i in.mp4 out.avi and the result is an avi file of 30mb so obviously the quality has degraded?

Beans

Re: convert mp4 to avi same quality ffmpeg?

Depends what is in your mp4 . Can you show the full terminal output from just:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i in.mp4
    Any special reason for the avi container?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Depends what is in your mp4 . Can you show the full terminal output from just:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i in.mp4
    Any special reason for the avi container?
    no reason really but I would like to convert the mp4 to avi with same bit rate and all the rest the same

ffmpeg -i in.mp4
    Code:
    FFmpeg version 0.6.5, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers                                  
      built on Jan 29 2012 17:52:15 with gcc 4.4.5 20110214 (Red Hat 4.4.5-6)                            
      configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/share/man --incdir=/usr/include --disable-avisynth --extra-cflags='-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -fPIC' --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libdirac --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaadbin --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-shared --enable-swscale --enable-vdpau --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab                                                                                                                         
      libavutil     50.15. 1 / 50.15. 1                                                                                         
      libavcodec    52.72. 2 / 52.72. 2                                                                                         
      libavformat   52.64. 2 / 52.64. 2                                                                                         
      libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0                                                                                         
      libavfilter    1.19. 0 /  1.19. 0                                                                                         
      libswscale     0.11. 0 /  0.11. 0                                                                                         
      libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0                                                                                         
    [aac @ 0x26a62d0]Transition from an ONLY_LONG or LONG_STOP to an EIGHT_SHORT sequence detected. If you heard an audible artifact, please submit the sample to the FFmpeg developers.                                                                    
        Last message repeated 1 times
    [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x269d670]max_analyze_duration reached

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 30000.00 (30000/1) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)
    Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'in.mp4':
      Metadata:
        major_brand     : mp42
        minor_version   : 1
        compatible_brands: mp42isom
      Duration: 00:03:56.80, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 3931 kb/s
        Stream #0.0(eng): Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 640x480 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 3798 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn, 30k tbc
        Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 127 kb/s
        Stream #0.2(eng): Data: mp4s / 0x7334706D, 4320 kb/s
        Stream #0.3(eng): Data: mp4s / 0x7334706D, 3840 kb/s

Beans

I am not sure that aac sound lives well in avi container but perhaps you could simply try:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec copy out.avi
    I am guessing the syntax a little here as your copy of FFmpeg is a little old . If playback barfs on this one try converting the sound to mp3 and this will work with avi...
    Code:
    -acodec libmp3lame

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am not sure that aac sound lives well in avi container but perhaps you could simply try:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec copy out.avi
    I am guessing the syntax a little here as your copy of FFmpeg is a little old . If playback barfs on this one try converting the sound to mp3 and this will work with avi...
    Code:
    -acodec libmp3lame
    thanks that worked

Beans

Great news . Mind you if you want to get serious about FFmpeg it would not hurt to visit this great guide sometime:

Compile FFmpeg on Ubuntu
    https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/...mpilationGuide

This will unlock a great deal more of the FFmpeg magic...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Great news . Mind you if you want to get serious about FFmpeg it would not hurt to visit this great guide sometime:

Compile FFmpeg on Ubuntu
    https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/...mpilationGuide

This will unlock a great deal more of the FFmpeg magic...
    great link

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i wasn under the impression you could merely rename a .mp4 to .avi, is that not true? after all, it's merely a container and nothing more.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    i wasn under the impression you could merely rename a .mp4 to .avi, is that not true? after all, it's merely a container and nothing more.
    I would be surprised, I believe remuxing is necessary. But I have been wrong many times before

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are differences between container formats, more than just the name: where and how metadata is stored in the file is the most significant one.

I know from experience that some FLV files are close enough to MP4 that renaming them was enough to get my PS3 to play them; but many are not. The same may be true with AVI files, I suppose it would depend on how exactly they were encoded and what decoder (player) you're using. It will always be safer to just remux the files into a new container, and even on my atom-based netbook that doesn't take very long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast