Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying "wireless authentication required"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Annoying "wireless authentication required"

Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 then immediately upgraded to 9.10. My laptop has Linksys WPC300N PCMCIA wireless adapter so during installation bcm43-fwcutter and BroadcomSTA linux driver were automatically installed. I have no problem with wired connection. However, I keep seeing the "Authentication required for wireless network connections" popped up, even though SSID and WPA/WPA2 passphrase were entered correctly initially. I hit CANCEL then Network manager shows "Wireless Network" disconnected, then the Wifi or stairstep icon appears. When there's no cable connection, wireless works fine. Just noticed that only 1 light (Power) shows on the card. It just bothers me that the "wireless authentication required" screen keeps popping up and interferes with my typing.

Not sure if this problem has anything to do with keyring manager. I did uninstall then reinstall NetworkManager and NetworkManager-gnome but problem still persists. I would much appreciate your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Beans
    Distro

Re: Annoying "wireless authentication required"

Thank you lidex for giving me the link. The problem was solved by the following steps:

1. Edit wireless connection.

2. Put a check mark beside "available to all users"

3. Hit "Apply"

4. Unplug internet cable

5. Double click on SSID name

6. Wireless connection is now established. No more screen requiring authentication.

Steps 2 and 3 solve the problem. Make sure there's a check mark in "connect automatically" for one's wireless connection.
    Last edited by iClouseau88; March 8th, 2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: fix typo

Beans

I tried this but no luck. Any other suggestions?

Beans

No, really- I'm desperate! How can I fix this? Anyone have any idea at all??

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gatesdrovme2it View Post
    No, really- I'm desperate! How can I fix this? Anyone have any idea at all??
    These problems are oftentimes chipset specific. Maybe start by opening a terminal and posting the output of 'lspci" for an internal adapter or 'lsusb' for a usb dongle. The line that really matters may contain 'network controller' or 'wireless' Here is mine for example:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0846:9030 NetGear, Inc. WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271].

If I had a problem I'd search in the Networking & Wireless forum for "Atheros AR9271+authenication required" or something along those lines and see if anyone else has had the same issue.

Beans

Kurt you are my new favorite person. LOL. I have only been using Ubuntu for about 4 days- I've only done DOS and Windows in the past. The straw that broke the camel's back was an installation "endless loop" problem with Windows XP. I've sworn off Microsoft forever.

Here is the output from the command (lspci) that you mentioned:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)

Again- I know nothing about this at all- but I think based on what you've said I need to search the forum for "Realtek RTL8188CE" so that is my next step.

You are a 5-star guy Kurt- thanks for your help!!!

ps- I see those little codes that people type into the terminal and get info all over the forum here. Is there a site on the web that lists all of those that are available along with descriptions of their usage? That might help me into my Linux experience.

Beans

bump

Beans

Nobody has a clue? help a fellow Ubuntu user out! I'm a total noob- but ready to learn!!!

Beans

anyone with an idea? even if you aren't sure, just some guesses as to where i can start to troubleshoot this thing...i'm a complete Linux noob so i am eager to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast