Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help to get a webcam working

Beans

Need help to get a webcam working

I need my webcam to work with flash on web pages so that I can speak to family members overseas (Kopete and suchlike).

I used mepis8 for years and everything was perfect, my webcams (three different makes), printers and anything else I cared to plug in worked from the off. lovely!!

Then mepis8 collapsed suddenly and nothing worked. I tried the newer mepis variants and every other linux distro that I came across to solve the problem, but nothing works.

I'm now using ubuntu 12.04, because it's not windows I suppose, but it's far from what I need.

Can anybody on here please tell me how to make any one of my webcams work on Ubuntu 12.04 with flash? Don't tell me it's the manufacturer's fault, because they worked on Mepis8. Don't tell me to build a kernel and add some Su (or do or sudo) and add a line et al because it's all gibberish to me. Keep it simple please. Complicated is fine as long as it's step by step or copy and paste.

Unfortunately, after about 12 years on linux, I will be driven back to windows if I don't get some help.

The Mepis forums used to be excellent for advice because there weren't any bigheads showing off their superior knowledge of linux on it. The Ubuntu forums seem to be the opposite, more than 1000 posts (in two threads) on why they prefer ubuntu to xp, but none of them can help me get my webcam working!!!!

So this is the challenge, before I give up completely. Tell me how to get my webcam working with Ubuntu 12.04 on web pages with flash. If not with 12.04, then with any other distro.

I won't hold my breath.

Thank you.
    Last edited by philinux; October 4th, 2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: meaningful title

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: A challenge to all you experts out there.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyubun2 View Post
    I need my webcam to work with flash on web pages so that I can speak to family members overseas (Kopete and suchlike).

I used mepis8 for years and everything was perfect, my webcams (three different makes), printers and anything else I cared to plug in worked from the off. lovely!!

Then mepis8 collapsed suddenly and nothing worked. I tried the newer mepis variants and every other linux distro that I came across to solve the problem, but nothing works.

I'm now using ubuntu 12.04, because it's not windows I suppose, but it's far from what I need.

Can anybody on here please tell me how to make any one of my webcams work on Ubuntu 12.04 with flash? Don't tell me it's the manufacturer's fault, because they worked on Mepis8. Don't tell me to build a kernel and add some Su (or do or sudo) and add a line et al because it's all gibberish to me. Keep it simple please. Complicated is fine as long as it's step by step or copy and paste.

Unfortunately, after about 12 years on linux, I will be driven back to windows if I don't get some help.

The Mepis forums used to be excellent for advice because there weren't any bigheads showing off their superior knowledge of linux on it. The Ubuntu forums seem to be the opposite, more than 1000 posts (in two threads) on why they prefer ubuntu to xp, but none of them can help me get my webcam working!!!!

So this is the challenge, before I give up completely. Tell me how to get my webcam working with Ubuntu 12.04 on web pages with flash. If not with 12.04, then with any other distro.

I won't hold my breath.

Thank you.
    It always cracks me up when the guy needing help the most takes a swipe at the mechanic....not for certain why you took so many jabs at Ubuntu posters on here but I'll take it being your 1st post for a "Not Knowing" mentality.

It's great that you had such great support from Mepis....now....give me something useful, help me help you....what's the model number of one of your 3 web cams that you want the experts to help you with? All that was written...now I'm just asking for something useful....and just know....you may have to do some sudo commands....but I'm confident the knowledgeable Ubuntu Forum will be able to walk you through getting this set up for you.

Cheers!

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: A challenge to all you experts out there.

One solution you could try right off the bat is to install Google Chrome... This uses the new Pepper Flash version 11.3 which has many bug fixes and may bring your webcam back online for Mepis8...

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Don't tell me to build a kernel and add some Su (or do or sudo) and add a line et al because it's all gibberish to me.
    I want to fix my car myself, but I don't want to open the bonnet and I don't want to use anything scary and technical like a spanner or a screwdriver!
    Last edited by Statia; October 2nd, 2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Using my psychic powers I have ascertained that your model of webcams come under the influence of the planet Neptune .
    They need to be wrapped in tin-foil to ward off these emanations.

Beans

Tenplus1, thank you for your advice, I'll try it and hope for the best.

Beans

Daslinkard, please understand that I used ubuntu before and posted in the forums many times. I found it very hard to get help. I used to explain at the start that I was a newbie, willing to learn, and that I needed detailed, simple explanations while I found my feet. However most of the replies told me to do things like build a kernel, change a line etc. - completely ignoring the fact that I'd said I was a newbie. Ok, if building a kernel was the way to go, then I need help telling me how to do it, but nobody wanted to do that. I came across a post slagging off those who struggled with ubuntu, the poster suggested we should give up and try Mepis. I'd never heard of mepis before that, but I tried it and it was excellent (until it died),

I'm back with ubuntu now, if you look at my post in the "why do you prefer ubuntu over windows" thread you'll see why I get frustrated at the lack of help. Nobody seems to want to help, what is the point of telling me to "blame" the manufacturers? These things have worked before so there must be a way, or a distro, to get them working again.

The members on the mepis forums seem to be more understanding of newbies and others who don't grasp the workings of linux as well as they do.

I'm frustrated because mepis8 worked so well with my peripherals and now I'm back where I started, I didn't mean to annoy anybody here and I'm sorry that I have.

In a nutshell, I'm just asking if anybody can give me some straightforward advice because I'd like to learn how to overcome these problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Need help to get a webcam working.

No one can advise you unless you provide your system specs and the make and model of webcam.

(Thread title changed).
    Last edited by philinux; October 4th, 2012 at 06:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

...However most of the replies told me to do things like build a kernel ...
    Anybody telling you build a custom kernel simply to get a driver working is putting through a LOT of unnecessary work.

These things have worked before so there must be a way, or a distro, to get them working again.
    Unfortunately, that is not always the case ...

I have two personal examples of things that USED to work in Ubuntu and no longer do ...

First -- special keys on a Tablet PC. These worked fine in 8.04 and 8.10, but starting with 9.04, the kernel could no longer "see" the keys -- rendering my Tablet basically useless in Ubuntu. Tried other Distros -- no improvement. Eventually had to install Win7 -- where, like in Ubuntu 8.x, everything worked.

Second -- ATI Linux drivers. Had an ATI X1650, used the restricted drivers. Starting with Ubuntu 9.04 (or maybe 9.10, don't recall for sure), ATI stopped supporting the drivers. Had to buy a "new" card to continue to get restricted driver support.

So, unfortunately, just because it "used to work" in an older distro or version, is no guarantee that it will continue to work every distro and version down the road.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Need help to get a webcam working

IMHO I love ubuntuforums....to the point it is very motivating for me to try my best to help others find solutions. I have had similar feelings as what you relayed, but mine was for other web sites. I want to personally thank all of the Ubuntu forum members and gurus who have forgotten more than what I know.

But one day I too will be the all encompassing, all-knowing Ubuntu user and I have this forum and the great members to thank for that. To those who put in endless hours answering questions on this forum....please accept my gratitude and my utmost respect for all that you do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast