Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which wine program should I use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Which wine program should I use?

I had tried it before but was unimpressed with its workings. In honesty it may have been more of a problem with "user" abilities that program ability!

There are some things I would like to do, such as have the DirecTV Everywhere workable that require Win$ of some sort, so am considering using Wine again.

In checking the software center I find wine, Q4wine, Wine windows program launcher, Play on Linux, Winetricks all listed. In reading the reviews it appears they all do the same thing so that's what brings up the questions.

1. Are they all basically the same in what they do?

2. What is the most workable and productive version?

3. Is it advisable to use more than 1 of the choices? (I.E. Should I use a combo like Wine Windows program loader and Play on Linux?)

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. (Word them for the brain problem viewer!)

Thanks, Phil

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Which wine program should I use?

I find play-on-linux the easiest and works for my simple needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 for PlayOnLinux

It automatically downloads and configures the correct version of Wine for each of the Windows applications you install.
    Cheesemill

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1, but keep this in mind: if any of your equipment is USB (except keyboard, mouse and some printers), and you want to access it in Wine - you can't.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    +1, but keep this in mind: if any of your equipment is USB (except keyboard, mouse and some printers), and you want to access it in Wine - you can't.
    which is a good reason to consider running WIN inside a Virtual Machine...

I use Virtual Box to run WIN XP inside Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS for my on-line
    H & S training required by my employer ( it requires IE 8 to work )....

XP loads faster & runs better than a stand-alone install...and ALL my
    USB stuff works great!!

for more info on VB, go here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...tro-installing

Tommy
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Beans
    Hidden!

1. Q4wine is a graphical user interface for Wine. I don't usually use it, so I'm not sure how good it is. Wine Windows Program Launcher should be the Wine program itself. PlayOnLinux is a package deal that should make using Wine a bit easier. And finally, winetricks is a little tool used to configure Wine and/or install certain Windows programs easily.

2. Yeah... I think I'm going to agree with the others and say that PlayOnLinux is probably the least hassle of the ones listed; however, you may want to look into Crossover Linux (http://www.codeweavers.com/), which is a commercial version of Wine, with real tech support, too.

3. Hmm, it would probably be safe to have all four of the programs that you listed installed at one time, if you want to. If you decide to go the PlayOnLinux route, though, I'm not sure that you'd really need the others (it might be a good idea to install winetricks, just in case you need it later).

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exactly why I've always used VM's except for a couple of things I used crossover for. You are 100% correct - MUCH easier and MUCH simpler. Have a good one!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    which is a good reason to consider running WIN inside a Virtual Machine...

I use Virtual Box to run WIN XP inside Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS for my on-line
    H & S training required by my employer ( it requires IE 8 to work )....

XP loads faster & runs better than a stand-alone install...and ALL my
    USB stuff works great!!

for more info on VB, go here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...tro-installing

Tommy
    Went to Oracle and see there is the new 4.24 version, checked the download and see that it is a .deb file. Don't recall, off the top of my head the steps for installing a .deb file. Where are those? Also, before I get into installing, does it require partitioning during installation, before I install, or what?

Thanks for the tip.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

the link I referenced contains the info needed to install VB & get it running correctly....it was a no-brainer & worked straight away...
    there is a link called "installing VB" on the page...no partition
    manipulation involved....it will then show up in the dash if using
    Unity....

you WILL need a licensed copy of WIN or you will have to register it after
    a 30 day trial....or e-mail me for a "work around" if you have misplaced your key.....

once you have it installed & opened, there is a step-by-step walk thru
    to get you going....

let us know how it goes....

Tommy

p.s. you should also install the "guest additions" for VB from the same site...
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Beans
    Distro

NM5TF

OK, went to Oracle and followed suggestions on installing from .deb and all I got from terminal was "not available". Currently doing download of 4.2.4 but was wondering, do I need to install the current version in Software center then do an update?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Never mind! Finished download and clicked "open" and it jumped right in to the Software Center with option to install as usual. Clicked there and it says it is now installed. Will now go look for the "guest additions" and see what I can do there. Once completed I'll need further help re the "Win$" I use.

Had that in the Toshiba when purchased and don't think I wiped that out when I formatted and went full ubuntu. Might there be a way to get into the "storage" area where the original programming was kept and pull it from there? If not have an older version of XP on cd that I should be able to use, unless the key is no longer usable.

EDIT 2:

Found the "guest additions" in WinXP. Now to see if it recognizes the USB device>Not reading when using USB. "No USB device attached". Suggestions?
    Last edited by flyfishingphil; December 13th, 2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Another question

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast