Thread: downloading packages from ubuntu software center for offline use (possible?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question downloading packages from ubuntu software center for offline use (possible?)

Hi,

so I'm running the alphas from ubuntu 13.04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNxrP3BI_DE

and I'm liking them... I will whoever not be installing alpha software so it's painful to have to go to the ubuntu software center to download a bunch of stuff everytime you want to have a live session.

My question:

Is it at all possible to download packages from the software center and save them in the hard drive and then install them offline

if so how should I do it?

I tried looking for answers online but all I could find is for instance a .deb for some stuff but it seems much smaller than the one in the s.c.

also while I have your attention, how come I can download chromium 24 on elementary os (12.04) and when using the same console codes it downloads me chromium 22 instead in ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: downloading packages from ubuntu software center for offline use (possible?)

as the package manager only own the list of the available packages, but not the packages, you need of course to be linked to the net for downloading. The other way is to get the full iso but then if you want the latest fixes/upgrades, the network is required (seems evident)

Beans

Re: downloading packages from ubuntu software center for offline use (possible?)

Thread moved to Raring forum.

Beans
    Distro

"you need of course to be linked to the net for downloading"

yes but is there a way to, when downloading the files, to direct them to another directory or save them somewhere in order for the next time being able to install them without a network connection?

Beans

The .deb files you download are saved to the /var/cache/apt/archives folder.

You can copy them elsewhere for future use, but many of them will be regularly updated, 13.04 being a development release.

Beans
    Distro

thanks that's what I wanted to know

so all I have to do is save those files to a hard drive and next time I want to run a live session I should be able to double click them and install or I have to point to them with the console?

edit: nope doesn't work, when double clicking it open the software center but 'install' is shaded and it tells me to only download from normal software channels
    Last edited by nomenkultur; December 13th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

to install a package, from /var/cache/apt/archives :

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i thepackage2install.deb

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Synaptic also allows you to download packages without installing them.