Thread: Ubuntu desktop and server trials

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu desktop and server trials

Hi,

Someone has kindly sent me a couple of disks:
    Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop and Ubuntu 12.10 Server.

I note that the desktop version needs at least 768MB of RAM, but the Server Edition needs only 256MB of RAM.

At present, I have 512MB of RAM installed on my pc.

I realise that the Desktop edition will probably not run, but I was wondering if I could try the Server Edition on my desktop - not install, just try.

Thanks.

A

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu desktop and server trials

The server is without a GUI (graphic user interface) so unless you know your way around the command prompt I don't know if you what to do that.
    The first thing I would say is memory is cheap so i would look at upgrading your computer to more memory. No matter what you install as far as a desktop, it would run slow. I have one old laptop with 1 gig of memory, and it runs slow with Ubuntu studio on it. That has the Xfce desktop, which is a smaller desktop. You could also try Xubuntu or Lubuntu which have smaller desktop. They might fit on your computer as it is now.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You should be able to, but the server version has no GUI so you will see only a command line. No desktop, no mouse, just the CLI. And this won't give you any impression of the Desktop experience.

The major difference between the two versions is absence of the windowing environment from the server. That's a major reason for the size difference. Also the server omits all the office tools and browser goodies. It's also tweaked for use as a server rather than as a work station. Sorta like the difference between an 18-wheeler and a sports car...

Even though you don't have enough RAM for a full install of the desktop, you may be able to boot from the Live CD and do some test driving. If so, it will be quite a bit slower than a true install but will give you a better idea of what the system is really like. If you can copy the CD's content to a USB stick of at least 4 GB and boot from that, it will be faster than the CD/DVD. Several how-to pages in the forums will show you how to do this; it's a bit more complicated than just copying the files.

Good luck!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by anon_private View Post
    but I was wondering if I could try the Server Edition on my desktop - not install, just try.
    No, that's not possible.

Only the Desktop CD has a Live mode, the Server CD can only be used for a full installation. Also be aware that Ubuntu Server doesn't have a GUI (graphical user interface), it's command line only.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks to all.

Very helpful.

Best wishes.

A

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You should give Lubuntu a try. It runs well on an old 1.5GHz Celeron laptop with 512RAM I have around, currently used as a media server. It's stable and relatively "fast" considering the very low specs of the machine.
    How do you sudo?