Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Debian "corporate firewall" how-to author here considering Ubuntu version, worth it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Debian "corporate firewall" how-to author here considering Ubuntu version, worth it?

Hi all,

I apologize for my frankness, and probably posting in the wrong section. It's been years since I last visited the Ubuntu forums.

I am what you would call a Debian enthusiast. For many years, I have authored an advanced how-to on developing a corporate firewall system, using freely available Debian packages, without compiling or patching. Configuration is the trick. You have to become an expert on firewall configuration methodology, the same required by Cisco or any other firewall manufacturer.

Now that I have your attention, over the past seven years or so, I have been the author and developer of an advanced debian-based firewall system, fully documented in a how-to document. It has a happy home in the Debian community, among the advanced users.

Up until now, I never considered the Ubuntu community would be interested. Quite frankly, it's not for beginners. Although I wrote it to educate the beginner, you must have a willingness to learn advanced TCP/IP routing/filtering techniques.

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right Ubuntu forum. That doesn't matter. Is the Ubuntu community ready for something like this? You have to answer that, because I honestly don't know, but I am willing to give it a try.

If your community welcomes my project, without all the drama, I would be happy to help people here develop advanced corporate firewalls for their businesses. Serious people only. This is not a beginner subject.

I have no idea what response I will get to this post. Whatever. Let's see what happens.

Here is a link to my last publicly posted how-to document: http://www.4shared.com/office/nWMRt6..._firewall.html

Honestly, I have no idea what response to expect. If I'm attacked and flamed, whatever, that's what I get for trying, right?

If anyone here has done the same as I have, or has seriously attempted it, then feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Daryl

EDIT: Sorry about the above link. It required a login doh!

Download/view online on Google Docs:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6g...VVPTmgwZUZhYUU
    Last edited by drokmed; December 13th, 2012 at 08:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Debian "corporate firewall" how-to author here considering Ubuntu version, worth

Thread moved to Security Discussions.

Hi - I don't see any reason why it's not worth it.

You might be better doing it with a wiki at the community pages however.

Beans

Re: Debian "corporate firewall" how-to author here considering Ubuntu version, worth

I think there may certainly be interest in it, I would appreciate a look although I'm less happy about signing up to another website to download the PDF.

Would you consider emailing it to people who sent you a PM, so they can look at it and provide some feedback?

Stefan
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Definitely interested.

I currently use a virtualized SmoothWall on my home network to provide all the routing and and firewall duties for my servers. I've been looking to switch this to a Ubuntu CLI system so that all my machines run the same OS.

In my testing so far I've set up basic NAT and routing capabilities, your guide sounds like exactly what I'm looking for to turn this into a proper firewall/router.
    Cheesemill

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Serious people only. This is not a beginner subject.
    I am a beginner,but serious. And on iptables now (sounds like I am on steroids). So very much interested.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drokmed View Post
    Hi all,

This is not a beginner subject.

Yet your opening paragraphs say
    I intentionally wrote this for the “Beginner linux user”,
    and
    I have intentionally over-simplified this as much as possible, to help the new person
    Then go on to say the reader should have "a strong understanding...." of x,y,z

Seems very contradictory to me but good luck, I don't need it myself but for beginners you might want to address who it is really for.

I am not a fan of contradiction, if you don't know who you are writing for, then it is unlikely the reader will know what you are trying to say.

Cheers
    Last edited by haqking; December 13th, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Sounds interesting, but as Elfy said, it would probably be better to put it on the wiki so all can access it and the author can get feedback.

Haqking also has a point, the OP was a bit confusing.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Nitpicking.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Nitpicking.
    Good point.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Nitpicking.
    Not for beginners vs For beginners

is nitpicking ?

mmmmm

it is for one or the other, which is it
    Last edited by haqking; December 13th, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast