Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: adblock host recommendations?

Beans

adblock host recommendations?

I'm looking for a reputable, frequently updated ad-site list for my hosts file. I want to try it out for adblocking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: adblock host recommendations?

Is this for a web browser? Firefox? If so why not use AdBlock which contains its own updated adblock list.

Actually - just had a look at the preferences - this is the list. Any help?
    https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt

Beans

Is this for a web browser? Firefox? If so why not use AdBlock which contains its own updated adblock list
    I use more than one browser. Chrome is my primary browser, although I occasionally use Firefox too. Unfortunately, Chrome only hides ads with the use of its own "ad-blocking" extensions. In other words, ads won't be visible but the ad-sites still load and could contain trackers, malware, etc. This is an intentional limitation of Chrome/Chromium because Google depends on advertising.

It doesn't appear that Easylist posts hostfiles. They just have an ad-ware database for browser adblocking extensions. This serves the same purpose of adblocking but contains different info and format than hostfiles.

I've looked into other options already: Privoxy, SRWare Iron, OpenDNS (is limited to 25-50 blocks), etc. so I'm giving host files a try. I already found one (reputable?) site http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm. I'd like to know if anyone can recommend one.
    Last edited by jdunn; June 28th, 2010 at 04:52 PM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

look about ipblock, and add the list(s) you want (very helpfull)

actually mine deals with more than 2 780 000 000 ips !!!!
    Last edited by dino99; June 28th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
    I use more than one browser. Chrome is my primary browser, although I occasionally use Firefox too. Unfortunately, Chrome only hides ads with the use of its own "ad-blocking" extensions. In other words, ads won't be visible but the ad-sites still load and could contain trackers, malware, etc. This is an intentional limitation of Chrome/Chromium because Google depends on advertising.

It doesn't appear that Easylist posts hostfiles. They just have an ad-ware database for browser adblocking extensions. This serves the same purpose of adblocking but contains different info and format than hostfiles.

I've looked into other options already: Privoxy, SRWare Iron, OpenDNS (is limited to 25-50 blocks), etc. so I'm giving host files a try. I already found one (reputable?) site http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm. I'd like to know if anyone can recommend one.
    I suggest you use a proxy server.

Privoxy is easy to install and configure and works with all browsers.

You can either configure your browser to use privoxy , or write a few rules for iptables to re-direct traffic automatically.

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/how...sparent-proxy/

The advantage of iptables, it works for all users and all browsers with minimal configuration.

The "problem" with using a hosts file, it is reactionary and you need to wait for someone else to update the list.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I suggest you use a proxy server.

Privoxy is easy to install and configure and works with all browsers.

You can either configure your browser to use privoxy , or write a few rules for iptables to re-direct traffic automatically.

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/how...sparent-proxy/

The advantage of iptables, it works for all users and all browsers with minimal configuration.

The "problem" with using a hosts file, it is reactionary and you need to wait for someone else to update the list.
    I've tried Privoxy recently. The adblocking works well enough for me but it slows page loading down too noticeably. Maybe it would work faster if cascaded with Squid, which I never tried, but having 1-2 proxy servers for just one computer seems like overkill anyway.

True, a hostfile list is reactionary but so is Easylist for adblocker extensions. The guy who was in charge of it passed away last year and I hear recent updates have been infrequent. My point is, I don't mind relying on someone else's efforts to compile a list, so long as its up-to-date and reliable.

I didn't think to try IPtables so I may look into it. For now, I'm still trying out a hostlist. The nice thing about the host list is it will work for both linux and Vista on my dual-boot laptop. I neglected to mention I was dual-booting.
    Last edited by jdunn; June 29th, 2010 at 12:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post

Thanks, I'll look into this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
    I've tried Privoxy recently. The adblocking works well enough for me but it slows page loading down too noticeably. Maybe it would work faster if cascaded with Squid, which I never tried, but having 1-2 proxy servers for just one computer seems like overkill anyway.

True, a hostfile list is reactionary but so is Easylist for adblocker extensions. The guy who was in charge of it passed away last year and I hear recent updates have been infrequent. My point is, I don't mind relying on someone else's efforts to compile a list, so long as its up-to-date and reliable.

I didn't think to try IPtables so I may look into it. For now, I'm still trying out a hostlist. The nice thing about the host list is it will work for both linux and Vista on my dual-boot laptop. I neglected to mention I was dual-booting.
    Adblock is fantastic with Privoxy, I have been using Privoxy for some time now ...

I have not noticed a slow down with Privoxy, you can improve performance with a few tweaks :

https://calomel.org/firefox_ssh_proxy.html

It is written for ssh, but all the same, at the bottom are some tips ...

If you insist ....

IMO a decent hosts file is here :

http://hostsfile.mine.nu/downloads/
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post

Well, that's more then half of all possible ipv4 addresses, likely an overkill for.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Adblock is fantastic with Privoxy, I have been using Privoxy for some time now ...

I have not noticed a slow down with Privoxy, you can improve performance with a few tweaks :

https://calomel.org/firefox_ssh_proxy.html

It is written for ssh, but all the same, at the bottom are some tips ...

If you insist ....

IMO a decent hosts file is here :

http://hostsfile.mine.nu/downloads/
    I wouldn't recommend Privoxy to anyone except as a last resort. At times, it doesn't affect page loading times. At other times, it slows to a crawl. It seems to have the worst impact on webmail and search engine results. Too often, I have to refresh search results because only half-a-page is displayed. And the time I have to wait to load an individual email hearkens back to when I had to use a 56Kbaud modem. These are the results with the basic settings...I haven't even tweaked it yet and of course, it only does a fair job of adblocking with basic settings. Keep in mind that most of my experience is with the version in the repositories (3.0.15) but I doubt 3.0.16 is much better.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast