Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox crashes host on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit

Beans

Virtualbox crashes host on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit

Hi,
    I have a strange problem with virtual box. I installed Ubuntu 12.10 64bit on a new ultrabook (Wortmann Terra Mobile 1450 II, Intel i7-3517U).
    After I tried different VirtualBox installations from the softwarecenter and synaptec which were not working, I followed this installation guide: http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/10/inst...untu-1210.html
    Virtualbox is now running - also USP 2 Support is available.
    I have two guest systems from my old pc (ubuntu 12.04 32bit) - Win7 and a Lubuntu system.

The strange situation is, after I start one of these guest systems, after some seconds during the booting of the guest my host system (!) crashes and reboots. This is really strange. This behavior is independent if I start the win7 guest or the lubuntu guest.

Have anybody seen such an issue. Thanks for any help or hints.

===
    Ralph

Beans

Re: Virtualbox crashes host on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit

I am having the exact same issue and have yet to resolve.

Beans

whats wrong with installing the version from oracle? https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

im just curious, mainly. i do not have an immediate solution.

Beans

I'm having the same problem. Virtualbox 4.2 64bit amd (downloaded from Oracle), Ubuntu 12.10 64bit amd, win7 64bit

I'm running with an Intel 9550 64bit cpu.

Just created a new VM win7 64bit, when I try to start it the entire host panics.

The truely annoying thing is I upgraded to 12 64bit just so I could install vbox 64bit support to use my windows 7 64bit. That's after going through the rediculous gymnastics with the headers to get this version of vbox installed.

Time to go back to vmware?
    Last edited by jbeiter; January 15th, 2013 at 07:30 PM.

Beans

How much memory did you allocate to the guest?

From the Virtualbox Manual:
    Choose this setting carefully! The memory you give to the VM will not be available to your host OS while the VM is running, so do not specify more than you can spare. For example, if your host machine has 1 GB of RAM and you enter 512 MB as the amount of RAM for a particular virtual machine, while that VM is running, you will only have 512 MB left for all the other software on your host. If you run two VMs at the same time, even more memory will be allocated for the second VM (which may not even be able to start if that memory is not available). On the other hand, you should specify as much as your guest OS (and your applications) will require to run properly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    How much memory did you allocate to the guest?
    1G here, have 4.

I opened a bug ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11395#

Beans

ok my particular problem was that my motherboard (asus striker ii nse) did not fully recognize my 64bit cpu (Intel core 2 q9550 yorkfield.) Even though ubuntu worked fine and win7 worked on another partition, virtualbox freaked.

Did a flash update to the motherboard, it recognizes the cpu fully now, virtualbox is happy. Win7 is chugging through its 3 days of freakin updates now

Beans

I have the same issue on a laptop at work. It's a high-performance one with plenty of memory etc.

I've tried different guest sessions etc., no difference. A few seconds into the guest operating system and the whole computer re-boots.

Beans

I just had this exact issue.

Trying to run a Windows 7 guest in Virtualbox an Ubuntu 12.10 64bit host. A few seconds into the guest booting the host machine would crash completely and reboot.

Looked into the BIOS and found that the hardware virtualisation was disabled. I enabled that and now Windows boots fine. It's Ubuntu 12.10 running on an Intel i7 - 64bit Windows seems to be going like a rocket. Very pleased.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I find 12o4 and vBox to be a good mix. I do not run 12.10, but a quick search seems to say that 12.10 does not play nice with vBox.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9

Not that problems can't be fixed, just seems to me that LTS is a better way to go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast