View Poll Results: would you be interested in a mobile (for cell phones, pda's, etc.) Ubuntu?

Voters
325. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

258 79.38%
  • no

32 9.85%
  • maybe

35 10.77%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: would you be interested in a mobile Ubuntu?

Beans

Question would you be interested in a mobile Ubuntu?

would you be interested in a mobile (cellular phone, pda, etc.) Ubuntu (Mubuntu)

check both:
    Linux Phone Standards Forum (LiPS) &
    OSDL Mobile Linux Initiative (MLI)
    "don't believe everything you think…"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: would you be interested in a mobile Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxias
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][COLOR=#34444e][SIZE=3][FONT=Verdana][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=2][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]would you be interested in a mobile (cellular phone, pda, etc.)
    I've been using PDA's for a few years. Palm devices only. I would love to try a linux device. Apparently the new PalmOs will be linux.

Beans

Arrow Re: would you be interested in a mobile Ubuntu?

there's a new consortium forming for mobile Linux (mentioned in tech news a few months ago); I'll add it here, as soon as they have a name & site.

however, I just learned about MontaVista’s Mobilinux Open Framework

not sure, if there are more. if you know of other mobile Linux consortiums, please post them here.

I think that all of them should collaborate with each other.
    Last edited by Abraxias; July 23rd, 2006 at 03:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

would be nice as i currently own a smartphone with Windows mobile 2003, but i must say its really good
    My local LUG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Simian View Post
    I've been using PDA's for a few years. Palm devices only. I would love to try a linux device. Apparently the new PalmOs will be linux.
    its called ALP. that will be using gtk.

Abraxias
    MontaVista develop using QT only (AFAIK).

the mobile phone that i have runs on a linux kernel, but motorola UI. all new motorola gsm phones run on a linux kernel. many of their new phones will run on a platform called JUIX(java-linux), and is horribly crippled. in essence, they're smartphones, but motorola has made it so that it difficult to install native apps on them.
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; July 18th, 2006 at 10:16 PM.

Beans

We already have Linux OS's that work on mobile devices. Ubuntu is a desktop distro and should remain that. We should focus on doing one thing well instead of doing everything terribly.

Beans

Wink Re: would you be interested in a mobile Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89 View Post
    We already have Linux OS's that work on mobile devices. Ubuntu is a desktop distro and should remain that. We should focus on doing one thing well instead of doing everything terribly.
    BWF89,

prior to Ubuntu, there were other Linux distros for desktops. so, why was Ubuntu created?

yes, to a certain degree, I agree about staying focus. however, it all depends on the perspective of what to focus.

I believe that Ubuntu should remain focus as an OS suite. however, I don't think that it should be restricted to desktops. there are reasons for creating the server version. so, if it were possible to port it to mobile devices (e.g. celluar phones, pdas, etc.); then a mobile edition should be considered.

Ubuntu doesn't have to help develop the mobile Linux port; that's what those think tank consortiums are for; what Ubuntu can do is adapt to it. porting Ubuntu to mobile Linux is not necessarily going out of focus.

Beans

A Fedora user

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    hi bruce89,

thanks for that URL!

wow!!!

so, EmbeddedUbuntu's actually been working on it for almost a year now =D>

I hope that all those developing a mobile Linux will collaborate for an open standards.

btw: does anyone know how to move this thread to the "Other Linux Talk" forum?

Beans

just learned about Trolltech and their Qtopia Greenphone

Greenphone Virtual Press Office

Trolltech Announces Qtopia Greenphone – the First Linux Mobile Development Device Open for Unlimited Software Innovation

good news! =D>
    Open Source Development Labs (OSDL) and the Linux Phone Standards Forum (LiPS) announced (on August 14, 2006) that they are now both collaborating their work on mobile Linux!
    LiPS and Open Source Development Labs (OSDL) have agreed to collaborate to ensure consistency between OSDL’s kernel-level initiatives and LiPS’ work to standardise specifications at the application and service level.

btw: does anyone know how to move this thread to the "Other OS Talk" forum?
    Last edited by Abraxias; August 20th, 2006 at 05:47 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast