Thread: File Naming Heirarchy

Beans

File Naming Heirarchy

Hello, kinda newb here with the Linux structure stuff. I'm looking for some guidance concerning the order of file naming within a folder.

In my Windows 7 partition, Windows puts files/folders with names starting with characters and numbers at the top of the respective piles and then orders by name.

It appears that my Ubuntu partition, does not organize things that way.

I have things organized by name, and I think with folders first, is there a way to emulate the Windows system where files with characters and numbers are placed first?

See attached pic for how my layout is currently showing. I will get a screenshot of how Windows does it, next time I boot back into Windows. So far In a week and counting,.. LOL

For example, I would like the folder that begins with "!" at the top and then the files that begin with 20 at the top of the files list.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    99% ~ Microsoft Free!
    I don't care how it's done in Windows!
    http://www.corelogik.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: File Naming Heirarchy

To my knowledge, that does no longer work in Ubuntu / Nautilus. I had a system where folders, that I wanted at the top of the list, started with an underscore.

The reason why it does not work is that 'they' use a natural sort that ignores this type of approach. Your only way is to start with a number of you want it at the top of your list.

With regards to natural sort
    a normal sort will sort numbers like 1, 11, 12, 13, 2, 20 ,21, ... while a natural sort will sort these same numbers like 1, 2, 11, 12, 13, 20, 21
    Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; December 13th, 2012 at 06:51 AM.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Re: File Naming Heirarchy

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    That does no longer work in Ubuntu / Nautilus. I had a system where folders, that I wanted at the top of the list, started with an underscore.

The reason why it does not work is that 'they' use a natural sort that ignores this type of approach. Your only way is to start with a number of you want it at the top of your list.

With regards to natural sort
    a normal sort will sort numbers like 1, 11, 12, 13, 2, 20 ,21, ... while a natural sort will sort these same numbers like 1, 2, 11, 12, 13, 20, 21
    Copy that. I'll play around with various numbering systems then. Thank you.
    99% ~ Microsoft Free!
    I don't care how it's done in Windows!
    http://www.corelogik.com