Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amavisd & SpamAssassin doesn't work - Ubuntu Server 12.04LTS

Beans

Amavisd & SpamAssassin doesn't work - Ubuntu Server 12.04LTS

I'm looking to replace a RedHat EL 5.x Postfix server with an Ubuntu 12.04LTS one. In my test environment, I currently have an Ubuntu Server 12.04LTS (32bit)with Postfix running. I've followed this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PostfixAmavisNew on getting ClamAV and SpamAssassin integrated.

ClamAV works perfectly. I can see in the logs (and email header) that the scanning is taking place. However, I cannot get SpamAssassin to function. If I use the console prompt and run, say, spamassassin -t < sample-spam.txt I can verify SpamAssassin works. However, if I send emails back and forth through Postfix, no SpamAssassin headers are added. I've even tried lowering the spam score (in the guide) to -999 and I still don't get anything.

If I run SpamAssassin itself as a content_filter for Postfix, it works correctly.

Is there a more recent guide for SpamAssassin/Amavis? What am I overlooking?

Beans

Re: Amavisd & SpamAssassin doesn't work - Ubuntu Server 12.04LTS

Oh one other thing I should note: Currectly, all the virtual machines are virtualized inside of VirtualBox from Oracle version 4.2.4 on Windows 7 64bit. I use that for testing. Production will be VMWare ESX Ver 5.x.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCena View Post
    If I run SpamAssassin itself as a content_filter for Postfix, it works correctly.
    Is that not an acceptable solution?

I believe that RedHat systems uses a procmail rule that passes each message to spamd for processing. Ubuntu by default does not come with procmail installed (seems dumb to me, too), but you can install it from the repositories with "sudo apt-get install procmail". Then create /etc/procmailrc and add this "recipe":
    Code:
    :0: fw
    * < 256000
    | /usr/bin/spamc
    This passes every message less than 256000 bytes to spamc for checking against the spamd daemon.

I run MailScanner which does both virus and spam scanning at the SMTP level. It works flawlessly on RedHat-flavored systems like CentOS. I haven't tried the Ubuntu implementation, but it is in the repositories.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

It is and it isn't. I am also trying to get MailScanner running as well (I bought the official book on MailScanner). It, as well as almost every other guide I've read, recommends using amavisd as the "service broker" for all of it (clamav, spamassassin, mailscanner). The other reason I'd prefer amavis is I have the option of running the scanning services as a physically separate machine.

It's odd to me that clamav runs great but not spamassassin. I'm also checking the mail log to see if perchance it's doing the scan and just not putting the headers in. I'm not seeing anything in the log that looks like its spam scanning. Virus, yes but not spam.

I can post logs if that will help.

Is it in the Ubuntu repositories? I'm running 12.04LTS and I don't see it listed. I do recall seeing it under earlier versions of Ubuntu but just assumed that it had been removed from the repos.
    Last edited by SteveCena; December 12th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've never used amavisd at all, and I've never read anything by Julian that suggests it should play a role. I use sendmail rather than Postfix, though that should not really matter. As I say, installing the RPM-based version that is available on the MailScanner site "just works" on any CentOS 5/6 machine I've built. One reason I choose to use CentOS for servers is that MailScanner installs and works flawlessly on that platform.

You can have a separate scanning machine if you run clamd and spamd on it, and have the mail processor query them.

Are you running SpamAssassin at the SMTP level, or at the delivery level with spamd? As I said, the latter requires procmail.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

You should definitely check out Postfix. I much prefer it to sendmail. I'm not against sendmail, but found Postfix to be easier to work with and more power. Ultimately, its what you feel comfortable with so take it with a grain of salt

I just checked the book, and I could be overthinking it. The book says to install SpamAssassin and a mail server but it doesn't specifically say it needs amavisd. I might be able to use amavisd for antiviral and mailscanner/spamassassin for the content filtration.

I've tried getting SpamAssassin/etc on CENT and was too much of a hassle. Needed to install RPMForge packages, etc. and still didn't get very far. Just an email server, that worked right out of the box as I expected.

Again, its what you feel comfortable with. I'm glad it worked out for you but I want to see if I can pull with off with Ubuntu.

Beans

Actually, it looks like it is a moot point right now. Ubuntu has "renamed" the SHA1 library that the .DEB of MailScanner uses. So now, it's a stand off. Ubuntu has it as a bug they won't fix. They are pinning the change on the software developers to make the change.

I'm going to check out Debian and make another attempt at CENTOS again. I could use the server for Postfix & AV, but I really want the MailScanner antispam.

Beans

Actually, it looks like it is a moot point right now. Ubuntu has "renamed" the SHA1 library that the .DEB of MailScanner uses. So now, it's a stand off. Ubuntu has it as a bug they won't fix. They are pinning the change on the software developers to make the change.

I'm going to check out Debian and make another attempt at CENTOS again. I could use the server for Postfix & AV, but I really want the MailScanner antispam.
    I found your statement in an earlier post to this thread, "It, as well as almost every other guide I've read, recommends using amavisd as the "service broker" for all of it (clamav, spamassassin, mailscanner). " very interesting.

I am very happy running Postfix and MailScanner together. One of the side affects of having postfix put email in it's hold queue where MailScanner picks it up and when MS is finished placing it back into the Postfix incoming queue is the use of two postfix queueid. There ends up being only one "postfix/smtp" log record with delay times. It is only for the second processing of the email associated with the second queueid. [The other side affect is writing anything about MailScanner to a Postfix email list.]

I have sometimes thought if amaviz or something similar could be used to interface MailScanner to Postfix there could be only one postfix queueid and the logged times would be correct. What has stopped me from giving it a try is the fact MailScanner "expects" the email to be re-inserted to Postfix and produces a handy log record which writes both queueid to a single record which makes log file continuity across both of them possible.

The above aside, if you have not yet gone off in another direction and still want to use MailScanner, please look at http://apt.baruwa.org because it is a clean installation of MailScanner ("This repo provides Baruwa deb packages for Ubuntu and Debian, supporting packages such as mailscanner are also included in the repo"). I am currently using that on a test email gateway and so far I have found it solid.

Robert Lopez

Beans

I gave up on it. We've decided to go with Untangle to deal with spam. It's working out very well. The only think I don't like about it is there is no way to retrain the server with known good mail. Outside of that, it's worked very well for us.

Beans

I gave up on it. We've decided to go with Untangle to deal with spam. It's working out very well. The only think I don't like about it is there is no way to retrain the server with known good mail. Outside of that, it's worked very well for us.
    Thanks for the update. Best wishes with Untangle. This is the first I have read of it. I hope it serves you well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast