Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is WUBI worth it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is WUBI worth it?

The way I look at it, if a user has a problem with Wubi and gets no help, how likely are they to just trust that they'll get help when they have a normal install?

Many problems people have with Wubi will be the same as with Ubuntu, because it's a driver issue or some partitioning errors etc.

So helping Wubi users also helps them eventually use a normal Ubuntu. That's why they have the ability to migrate a Wubi install to a normal install.

I think it's kind of sad that a Wubi user with a problem gets told repeatedly that Wubi is the problem and a normal dual boot will solve everything. That's just not accurate and gives Ubuntu a bad name. If Wubi should be removed, you should tell Canonical, not the poor user who installed it.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post

So helping Wubi users also helps them eventually use a normal Ubuntu. That's why they have the ability to migrate a Wubi install to a normal install.
    Yes indeed, I just found out you can migrate WUBI. I read the instructions and in Zeus' name I can't see how that is easier than just doing a dual boot in the first place. In fact it sounds a lot more complicated. That is ironic given the intended purpose of Wubi.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Yes indeed, I just found out you can migrate WUBI. I read the instructions and in Zeus' name I can't see how that is easier than just doing a dual boot in the first place. In fact it sounds a lot more complicated. That is ironic given the intended purpose of Wubi.
    Which part is too complicated for you? Partitioning, downloading the script, or entering a single command in the terminal?

Beans

Which part is too complicated for you? Partitioning, downloading the script, or entering a single command in the terminal?

How is it easier than dual booting?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

How is the ease of dual-booting related?

What you have here is a user who has spent some time using Wubi, installing programs and customizing it, who would have to partition anyway to install a dual boot, but instead of starting from scratch can easily migrate their existing install with a single command.

No one's forcing anyone to migrate. They can do a clean install if they prefer or use alternative techniques to backup settings and data.

So why do you think migrating is complicated again?

Beans

How is the ease of dual-booting related?

What you have here is a user who has spent some time using Wubi, installing programs and customizing it, who would have to partition anyway to install a dual boot, but instead of starting from scratch can easily migrate their existing install with a single command.

No one's forcing anyone to migrate. They can do a clean install if they prefer or use alternative techniques to backup settings and data.

So why do you think migrating is complicated again?
    Well I just go by your tutorial.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354

It is not complicated for me, but complicated enough to have to use a few terminal commands, this doesn't back your advertisement that WUBI is barrier free for users without tech knowledge,--at least you don't have to fool with the terminal and command lines with the Ubuntu installer (it is all clicking and checking boxes).

Since I don't use Wubi I cannot say how well the script works or how long does it take to migrate. Hope it is less trouble prone that distro upgrades.

Wubi just seems to be a very round about way to do things which could have been done much more directly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

First you argue that anyone wanting Ubuntu should be able to learn the technical know-how beforehand. Now you're arguing that someone who has learned Ubuntu won't be able to run a terminal command.

There's an evolution:
    1. User with no Ubuntu knowledge and doesn't want to (or know how to) partition
    2. Learns Ubuntu and likes it, wants to make it permanent.
    3. Is now able to partition
    4. Has to run a terminal command.

Beans
    Hidden!

Friends and relatives come to me only when their Windows machines get very sick. I usually told them: "I can mail you an Ubuntu CD, boot it up and use option 'Erase and use the entire disc'.".

Beans

deleted for double posting.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; December 13th, 2012 at 01:39 AM.

Beans

First you argue that anyone wanting Ubuntu should be able to learn the technical know-how beforehand. Now you're arguing that someone who has learned Ubuntu won't be able to run a terminal command.

There's an evolution:
    1. User with no Ubuntu knowledge and doesn't want to (or know how to) partition
    2. Learns Ubuntu and likes it, wants to make it permanent.
    3. Is now able to partition
    4. Has to run a terminal command.
    Having "Ubuntu knowledge" doesn't follow you know how to do partition, I can't imagine any day to day use of Ubuntu desktop that would require knowledge of partitioning. On the other hand it is not difficult to learn (google and 5 minutes of reading) partitioning without prior knowledge of Ubuntu,

BTW, live usb, installation in usb flash drives or external drives don't require partitioning. Installing with the "installing alongside" option also doesn't require the user to do partition manually.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; December 13th, 2012 at 01:50 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast