Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Apple OS X install

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    53

    Apple OS X install

    Can I do a full install of ubuntu on my macbook pro it has OS X 10.6.8 on it now? I don't want to do dual boot, just ubuntu. Thanks

  2. #2
    iMac71 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    169

    Re: Apple OS X install

    Quote Originally Posted by anw0625 View Post
    Can I do a full install of ubuntu on my macbook pro it has OS X 10.6.8 on it now? I don't want to do dual boot, just ubuntu. Thanks
    there shouldn't be particular problems: you'd have simply to:
    1) boot your mac holding the ALT key with a live CD or a live DVD of your preferred Ubuntu release (Ubuntu 12.04 works well for me) in the Superdrive;
    2) press the ENTER key when the keyboard icon appears at the bottom of the screen;
    3) follow the on screen instructions.
    This is the easiest way for obtaining a full Ubuntu install which replaces OSX.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    colachel
    Beans
    516
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Apple OS X install

    Why you not trying to use ubuntu inside MAC OSX. I am using ubuntu 12.10 in MAC Lion using Virtaul box and it seems to be pretty fast.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    53

    Re: Apple OS X install

    That is all i have to do? I thought I have to divide the hard drive for the 2 operation systems?

    Quote Originally Posted by iMac71 View Post
    there shouldn't be particular problems: you'd have simply to:
    1) boot your mac holding the ALT key with a live CD or a live DVD of your preferred Ubuntu release (Ubuntu 12.04 works well for me) in the Superdrive;
    2) press the ENTER key when the keyboard icon appears at the bottom of the screen;
    3) follow the on screen instructions.
    This is the easiest way for obtaining a full Ubuntu install which replaces OSX.

  5. #5
    iMac71 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    169

    Re: Apple OS X install

    Quote Originally Posted by anw0625 View Post
    That is all i have to do? I thought I have to divide the hard drive for the 2 operation systems?
    yes, that's all you have to do, if you wish to run a single OS (i.e. Ubuntu) on your Mac.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    29

    Re: Apple OS X install

    There is an option during the installation that says: "Erase Mac OS X and replace with Ubuntu" ... You should be fine

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Groningen, Holland
    Beans
    109
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Apple OS X install

    I think you need OS X to update your firmware. So you might want to consider keeping a very small OS X partition.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northeast Corridor
    Beans
    51
    Distro
    Lubuntu

    Re: Apple OS X install

    Quote Originally Posted by sahabcse View Post
    Why you not trying to use ubuntu inside MAC OSX. I am using ubuntu 12.10 in MAC Lion using Virtaul box and it seems to be pretty fast.

    WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THIS? IF ANYTHING USE A LIVE CD? Can't be that fast running non-natively? and if you have a reason to use linux... then why wouldn't you just install it?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    29

    Re: Apple OS X install

    Why not just pop into the CD and start the puter pressing ALT? LOL

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •