Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SuperTuxKart 0.8 released

Beans

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.8 released

i love this game but i wanna install it as an app instead of just running the executable file each time. i don't understand the instructions on the website or the one that comes with the game. can somebody here help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm definitely enjoying the improved physics so far. I feel so much more competitive with the smoother handling of the carts now. > : D And I think it's pretty cool that a story mode made it in. Reminds me of Crash Team Racing, or Diddy Kong Racing, with the way the overworld's handled. Nice. I got 38 points so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Arhum
    i love this game but i wanna install it as an app instead of just running the executable file each time. i don't understand the instructions on the website or the one that comes with the game. can somebody here help me?
    Are you using Unity, KDE, or XFCE? Creating launcher icons are a little different across each, but the way it's done on XFCE shouldn't differ too much.

Right click on a panel and go to Panel Preferences. Check out the Items tab and add a new launcher object, (Unless you already have a drawer for games like I do. =P) Edit that with the gear icon and add a new empty item. I'm sure the options will be obvious from there. XD

You can do the same in Unity by dragging an existing icon onto the desktop, edit that copy with all the right details for Super TuxKart and change the icon, then drag that onto the launcher so it's in your side bar.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by johnluke728 View Post
    Are you using Unity, KDE, or XFCE? Creating launcher icons are a little different across each, but the way it's done on XFCE shouldn't differ too much.

Right click on a panel and go to Panel Preferences. Check out the Items tab and add a new launcher object, (Unless you already have a drawer for games like I do. =P) Edit that with the gear icon and add a new empty item. I'm sure the options will be obvious from there. XD

You can do the same in Unity by dragging an existing icon onto the desktop, edit that copy with all the right details for Super TuxKart and change the icon, then drag that onto the launcher so it's in your side bar.
    And on KDE, right click "edit applications" to add shortcuts to those menus Just stick the supertuxkart folder in HOME or something.

Anyone have a strange graphic corruption issue? I had to set all graphic settings to the highest within the game before most of it went away. esc menu has a wooden backdrop, but overtime it has become rainbow like, and full of holes Doesn't hurt my gameplay though.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

I'll try to update. Not much of a gamer but that game is very intuitive.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just wanted to inform you all that there's now an official binary for 32-bit available, and also that the semi-official PPA has been updated.
    My intent is not to flame. I am unarmed. -- QIII; thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur_D View Post
    Just wanted to inform you all that there's now an official binary for 32-bit available, and also that the semi-official PPA has been updated.
    Thank you!

Beans
    Distro

That's good news. ^^ I'd head straight to the PPA myself, but I'm already happy running the generic 64-bit package. =P Still an important headline for anyone wanting a 32-bit build without compiling it themselves, though.

Also, finally getting somewhere in the story, and ouch, the haunted house track is quite bumpy. I wound up flying around like a rag doll whenever I got careless. XD Every other track is pretty smooth and spacious though, I'm loving the new stuff the more of it I unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    And on KDE, right click "edit applications" to add shortcuts to those menus Just stick the supertuxkart folder in HOME or something.
    Wow, KDE makes it that simple? Always get the runaround with XFCE and Unity. I'm almost tempted to try KDE again now, it's been years since I gave it a trial on PCLinuxOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by johnluke728 View Post
    That's good news. ^^ I'd head straight to the PPA myself, but I'm already happy running the generic 64-bit package. =P Still an important headline for anyone wanting a 32-bit build without compiling it themselves, though.

Also, finally getting somewhere in the story, and ouch, the haunted house track is quite bumpy. I wound up flying around like a rag doll whenever I got careless. XD Every other track is pretty smooth and spacious though, I'm loving the new stuff the more of it I unlock.

Wow, KDE makes it that simple? Always get the runaround with XFCE and Unity. I'm almost tempted to try KDE again now, it's been years since I gave it a trial on PCLinuxOS.
    Pretty much straight forward yes, right click on your start button, and edit apps. Dialog pops up to rearrange, edit and add launchers, in the case of supertuxkart, all you need to do is search for the executable. (see below)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jakin; December 31st, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro

That's much better integrated than XFCE or Gnome's current solution! (As in, like no menu editor included on the disc, even though it was included with every other release before now. ;__; Just why? Menu's get so messy without that handy little tool! Now I have to get it from the software center every time I reinstall.)

Just finished story mode on my end, and the ending cutscene is definitely comical. XD The graphics in the menus got a little corrupted after playing the scene though. (Like missing a few lines in the images. Even the Firefox window I had open at the time did the same thing with a few of its menu buttons.) Restarting the game cleared up the main menu's buttons, but I wonder what triggered it, specifically? (I have Intel hardware, btw, if that helps.)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hey, glad you like it! We're interested in feedback, especially regarding difficulty of the challenges. As for the small graphics corruption, I have no idea. Usually we blame drivers if there are graphics problems which can't be reproduced on cards from other graphics vendors.
    Unfortunately, graphics drivers are a recurring source of bug reports; maybe in the future we'll be able to autodetect better what they support (though some drivers report being able to handle things that they don't, so it's a messy situation). Ah well, glad that it wasn't persistent in your case.
    My intent is not to flame. I am unarmed. -- QIII; thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast