Thread: Question about installing software

Beans
    Hidden!

Question about installing software

I have a ubuntu partition with a 200gb /home partition, and a 40 gb / partition. I am going to download steam for linux, but a lot of the games are pretty large in size, to large for my / partition. Is there any way of getting steam to download games onto my /home partition?

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Question about installing software

Quote Originally Posted by kingnick42 View Post
    I have a ubuntu partition with a 200gb /home partition, and a 40 gb / partition. I am going to download steam for linux, but a lot of the games are pretty large in size, to large for my / partition. Is there any way of getting steam to download games onto my /home partition?

Cheers

Hey nick,

You will DOWNLOAD them to your home partition, but they will be installed onto your / partition.

Otherwise, I think you might have better luck if you send in a ticket/ask for support from Steam themselves. I mean, they'll know better how their game installations work.

Theoretically, I think you could just move the installed game files to another partition (not steam itself, just what was installed when the game installed), but I don't really know how steam works with the games/what is installed. It might be as simple as specifying an install path, and telling the steam client where to look for games.

tl;dr steam would know better, probably.

That being said, I'm not a super linux expert, so moving around installation files could render everything completely useless. But I still think you'd have better luck with them.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Steam installs the games in the user's home folder by default.

Beans

Apparently it is possible to sym link your appdata from a windows install.
    The difference between knowledge and wisdom is knowing what to do or just doing it. I know nothing and get little done.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Steam installs the games in the user's home folder by default.
    Ah thanks

Just tried one and yep it does.