Thread: What's cheapest way of mailing small (200g, 11x8x6inches) package from USA to Austria

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cheapest way of mailing small (200g, 11x8x6inches) package from US to Austria

Dear U community,

Can anyone confirm my findings? USPS.com tells me that a 200-gram, 11-by-8-by-4-inch package from USA to Austria costs, at its cheapest, is $8.46 (First-Class Mail® International Parcel). Next one up is $16.95 for Priority Mail Small Rate Flat Bax. Next one up is Priority Mail Intl Medium Flat Rate box at $47.95.

With Fedex, the cheapest option is FedEx Intl Economy $99.49.

UPS's cheapest is $136.45 for UPS Worldwide Expedited.

I can't believe Fedex and UPS prices are more expensive than USPS. I've always thought that Fedex and UPS could beat USPS's prices.

If I'm doing something wrong, let me know.
    Last edited by hanzj; December 11th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.

Beans

Re: What's cheapest way of mailing small (200g, 11x8x6inches) package from USA to Aus

Personally I use the basic (16.95) Priority Mail option when I need to send things. Guess I just feel the flat box seems safer. Really depends on what your sending is worth to you. For legal documents I am a fan of Priority Mail. Its reasonably quick and priced accordingly.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Re: What's cheapest way of mailing small (200g, 11x8x6inches) package from USA to Aus

Mail these guys and ask if they will deliver to Oz, http://www.postbox-courier.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hanzj View Post
    I can't believe Fedex and UPS prices are more expensive than USPS. I've always thought that Fedex and UPS could beat USPS's prices.

From experience importing stuff USPS rates are usually lower than the courier companies.

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wink Re: What's cheapest way of mailing small (200g, 11x8x6inches) package from USA to Aus

Quote Originally Posted by hanzj View Post
    Dear U community,

Can anyone confirm my findings? USPS.com tells me that a 200-gram, 11-by-8-by-4-inch package from USA to Austria costs, at its cheapest, is $8.46 (First-Class Mail® International Parcel). Next one up is $16.95 for Priority Mail Small Rate Flat Bax. Next one up is Priority Mail Intl Medium Flat Rate box at $47.95.

With Fedex, the cheapest option is FedEx Intl Economy $99.49.

UPS's cheapest is $136.45 for UPS Worldwide Expedited.

Try TNT - http://www.tnt.com/wwtt/Prepopulator

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Austria, not Australia :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Mail these guys and ask if they will deliver to Oz, http://www.postbox-courier.com/
    Hi, Mips. VBulletin truncated my thread's title in everyone's responses. "Aus" is short for "Austria", not "Australia", just in case it makes a difference.
    Last edited by hanzj; December 11th, 2012 at 11:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I would avoid UPS and FedEx when sending any package to Austria. The reason if the contents are subject to VAT in Austria these companies will more often than not will use this as a pretext to gouge the recipient with "brokerage" "bond" and similar fees. In Canada I have seen UPS collect 50 CAD to "broker" the collection of 3.50 CAD worth of GST on an item that was worth 50 CAD.

Stick with the USPS and you will save the recipient at lot of grief and expense. I would also avoid TNT or any private courier for the same reason.
    Last edited by Dr. C; December 11th, 2012 at 08:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks, Dr. C. USPS it is, then!

Beans
    Distro

If you don't mind the extra wait, train carrier pigeons. Very affordable.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"