Thread: panp7 possible heat issues

Beans

panp7 possible heat issues

hi'

I am running a panp7 computer (core i5 64 bit ... 4 gig mem ... ati mobility radeon HD 4500)and I have been having some issues

I have the computer set up with a dual boot of windows xp and linux mint 13. (I use the windows side mostly for games linux for everything else ... and more games)

recently I was playing call of duty 4 on the windows boot ... I noticed the frame rate was gradually slowing down ... until I was greeted with this friendly screen ... [attached below]

This is the second time I have run into this bluescreen recently ... (while playing cod4)

meanwhile on my linux boot I have noticed that xonotic is running at about 3/4 the speed it used to ... (which is a major issue because that game is unplayable at < 60 fps)
    and on one occasion google+ hangout video chat with chromium crashed the x server ...

I suspected a heat problem so I took off the back panel that has the fan ... but didn't notice any major dust bunny issues ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hutty; December 10th, 2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: image was too dominating ... removed from post content area

Beans

Re: panp7 possible heat issues

i dont know whats going n ... but my computer is having inconsistent behavior ... sometimes it will bluescreen quickly after starting up (for 4+ start-ups in a row)

sometimes it will run just fine for a week

a full list of symptoms and what i have done so far is in the link below

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread...id=3749&page=2

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am not sure of how the system76 laptop is setup...

but have you looked at the temperatures after playing for a bit? Both from the ATI control center or lmsensors?

I would not think that the Blue Screen from Windows would be heat related, but I will not rule it out. Blue Screen errors are usually memory related.

I read your thread on the other board and it appears memtest is indicating a memory error. If you system is under warranty with System76 I would contact them about the memtest results.
    Last edited by cprofitt; February 11th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

Beans

accept it only said something about the issue that one time ... every single memtest I did after that (about 10 of them) returned clean

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hutty View Post
    accept it only said something about the issue that one time ... every single memtest I did after that (about 10 of them) returned clean
    With MemTest, you want to let it run for at least four hours, and overnight would be best. It's possible that the tests weren't running long enough on subsquent trials for the error to show up.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!