Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSH block commands

Beans

Cool SSH block commands

Hi everyone,
    I just downloaded ubuntu server edition (LTS) yesterday as my first pure linux operating system and I'm having trouble with a blatant security problem in SSH. When I connect to the server from terminal on my mac everything works perfectly, only it's too perfect. My problem is with the fact that SSH allows me to switch to the root user on the server even though I blocked it in the SSHD_config file already. If anyone knows how to block the SU command or just stop SSH users from switching accounts that'd be great.

Thanks in advance

Beans

Re: SSH block commands

Hmm, maybe because it is the sshd_config file? Case is important.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I might be wrong about this, but I think you can't do what you want with an SSH configuration. I think the ssh config will just allow or disallow users from logging in. Once they're logged in, you'll need to limit their activities just as you would on any Linux system (group permissions, sudoers, etc.). You can disable root from logging in to your ssh server directly. However, once an admin user is logged in, ssh can't stop that user from su.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Only allow users with limited power to login.

Look at the AllowUsers section in the ssh_config file.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Hi everyone thanks for replying so quickly,
    My allow users is already set to two specified users seperated by spaces and I have disabled root login already. If it can't be done from ssh config how would I block to the user from switching accounts? The sudo command was already disabled by default but that doesn't seem to be helping anything
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bellygrevios View Post
    Hi everyone thanks for replying so quickly,
    My allow users is already set to two specified users seperated by spaces and I have disabled root login already. If it can't be done from ssh config how would I block to the user from switching accounts? The sudo command was already disabled by default but that doesn't seem to be helping anything
    Thanks
    so, if you type
    Code:
    su
    , it lets you in without a password?

If that is the case, you have a bigger issue than blocking users from switching accounts.

If it allows you to type a password,
    try
    Code:
    sudo passwd -dl root
    , logout
    and then, try su again
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

it appears as though you're saying these users who are allowed to log in via ssh are in the sudoers file. if you don't want users to be able to use sudo, you need to remove them from the sudoers file. give them limited capabilties

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    so, if you type
    Code:
    su
    , it lets you in without a password?

If that is the case, you have a bigger issue than blocking users from switching accounts.

If it allows you to type a password,
    try
    Code:
    sudo passwd -dl root
    , logout
    and then, try su again
    No, if you type in su it still prompts me for the root password or whatever user I enter, but I don't want to give them the option of switching accounts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    it appears as though you're saying these users who are allowed to log in via ssh are in the sudoers file. if you don't want users to be able to use sudo, you need to remove them from the sudoers file. give them limited capabilties
    The account is not in the sudoers folder, it currently cannot use sudo but it still has the otion to switch users to an account that is in the sudoers folder such as root or my personal account on the computer

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bellygrevios View Post
    The account is not in the sudoers folder, it currently cannot use sudo but it still has the otion to switch users to an account that is in the sudoers folder such as root or my personal account on the computer
    sure they can try to switch accounts but if they dont know the password then it would fail right?

OR maybe look into pam_wheel

or does this help? http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...to-system.html
    Last edited by dannyboy79; December 10th, 2012 at 09:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast