Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Convincing my mother.

Beans

Convincing my mother.

Assumed this was the right category since i'm fairly new to Linux and my mom is completely new. Heres the deal I just dual booted my old Dell Dimension 2400 with Ubuntu 12.04. The other operating system on the computer is Windows XP. I love Ubuntu it runs faster and better on the old desktop. I'm also beginning to learn how to program using c++. But my Mom has been giving me flak because when she wants to use the computer she wants to use XP. She knows pretty much nothing about computers and has tried Ubuntu. I explain to her how the computer runs much faster using Ubuntu than Windows XP. Her main excuse for not wanting to use Ubuntu is, she likes her current setup and she is use to it. I don't understand since she only uses a web browser xD (which also runs faster on Ubuntu). Any ideas to convince?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Convincing my mother.

Easy: Don't bother. Just dual boot and leave it be.

Forcing someone to use something different leads to problems and unless you are willing to offer support for anything and everything, it is better to let them use what they know.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Remove Windows XP completely!
    Just kidding.

Honestly, people are resistant to change and like things the way they have used them, which is often the way they feel comfortable with. You can't really argue against that, and if she has used Ubuntu and dislikes it, then she dislikes it.

You could explain your reasons behind using it, but in the end, its her choice. Don't cause a rift in your family.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Well put something that looks like Windows XP in there such as Linux Mint or Lubuntu with a Windows wall paper she wouldn't know the difference.

Beans

I do offer support constantly xD. But yeah I guess I just thought it was a win, win since its prettier than Windows XP by a huge stretch, and its quicker. Guess i'll just have to make do until I can get my own comp.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Well put something that looks like Windows XP in there such as Linux Mint or Lubuntu with a Windows wall paper she wouldn't know the difference.
    no Linux distro "looks like anything" it is the DE which creates the appearance. Linux mint looks completely different depending on which version you download, KDE, Cinnamon, Mate etc...and no need to download a different distro as any of the DE can be installed to any distro.

I hear alot about how a Distro looks, a Distro looks like its DE allows it to look.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    no Linux distro "looks like anything" it is the DE which creates the appearance. Linux mint looks completely different depending on which version you download, KDE, Cinnamon, Mate etc...and no need to download a different distro as any of the DE can be installed to any distro.

I hear alot about how a Distro looks, a Distro looks like its DE allows it to look.
    Stop nitpicking, it was a joke, ok.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Stop nitpicking, it was a joke, ok.
    It is a support forum, be specific.

There is a big difference between a Distro and a DE, the OP is new to linux, i prefer people to have accurate information. We get enough pointless threads about Unity hatred blah blah because people confuse a Distro with a DE, if people were made more aware of the difference and the ability to use any DE they like in any distro it would reduce the whining (well probably wouldnt) but you know what i mean

Peace
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Lmao ^ couldn't have said it better myself haqking

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Nagantman View Post
    I do offer support constantly xD. But yeah I guess I just thought it was a win, win since its prettier than Windows XP by a huge stretch, and its quicker. Guess i'll just have to make do until I can get my own comp.
    If it's not even your computer why bother forcing her to use something so alien to her? Seriously, why even dual boot if you're discouraging your mother from touching XP? XD

When she wants to use it, just reboot into XP, and reboot again when you're back on yourself; simple as that. You have your favorite OS and she has hers.

If the boot process takes too long, (On Windows anyway. =P) trying cleaning up the registry and startup with CCleaner. I know my Windows install would be a bloody wreck without letting it clear my temp caches and registry once every day. XD

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast