Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: RealTek RTL-8188CUs working well-how to

Beans

Re: RealTek RTL-8188CUs working well-how to

so I assume you have zero wireless connection.? I would hard wire to internet,. Have you gone to software manager? If not I would go there and type in realtek in the search. you should see "nictools-pci". by installing it should help you with the driver issue. so if it doesn't work just get it installed and redo the script you entered earlier, it should help. let me know how it goes. I had a similar problem but on mint and with a Broadcom chip set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dauntless77 View Post
    Right, I believe Mint 10 is no longer supported and so I would just have to install the latest mint which is mint 15. I have heard something about that mint is based off of Debian and I have also heard its off of Ubuntu, its probably Debian thought. My thoughts however, I think a usb wireless adapter should work on a new Linux favor pretty flawlessly out of the box.
    And if the manufacturer chooses to cooperate, they generally do e.g. Intel. If a manufacturer chooses to not disclose the inner workings of their hardware for competitive reasons, it's much more difficult and time consuming to reverse engineer drivers & firmware. Also remember that even if not one *nix user bought a certain manufacturer's products, what % of computer users would that manufacturer lose? Business and commercial customers might care, the customer who really just wants an appliance won't even notice that lack of *nix support.

Beans

Kurt, so "nictools-pci" wont work? The driver might not be the latest but it possibly can work. Do you think?

Beans

Yeah I could see that. But would you think these drivers that the majority are written in C/ C++ code should be scalable and versatile in todays tech world. Maybe less 20 years ago though. I hope it does become like the pharmacy industry, where you need a pill for every single ailment. lol.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: RealTek RTL-8188CUs working well-how to

This worked for me! Thanks!

ASUS USB-N13 B1 in Ubuntu 13.04

(the required files are attached to the quoted post)

Quote Originally Posted by tim_phillips View Post
    Thought i'd add my solution

I've attached a script and patch that fixes up the 'implicit' error and the 'symbol' error, and then compiles and installs.

tested on 3.8 and 3.9 kernels.

put the script (sh file) and the patch (txt file) in the same folder as the downloaded file ( RTL8192xC_USB_linux_v3.4.4_4749.20121105.zip from http://tinyurl.com/c4v34vq )

run the script as root or sudo

don't forget to blacklist the native drivers:
    put a file in to /etc/modprobe.d/ with this in it
    Code:
    # Blacklist native RealTek 8188CUs drivers
    blacklist rtl8192cu
    blacklist rtl8192c_common
    blacklist rtlwifi

Beans
    Distro

Kurt, so "nictools-pci" wont work? The driver might not be the latest but it possibly can work. Do you think?
    Dunno. I installed Tim Phillips' .deb file, it works very well, survives kernel/image updates etc. I have no reason to try anything else.

Beans

I followed the instructions of the 1st post and I made it to work.The problem that came up is that my notebook crashes everytime I try to unplug the edimax usb card.The desktop turns to black with full of messages, it freezes there and the caps-lock indicator blinks fast. The only solution is to reboot.Any idea?
    My OS is Ubuntu 12.10.

Beans

Hmm. I would probably reinstall Ubuntu,. Which post are you referring to, there is a lot of posts? Ideally you would want to keep the usb card in, if you have security concerns just disable your wireless router (turn it off or unplug cat5 from data port).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sefosmaria View Post
    I followed the instructions of the 1st post and I made it to work.The problem that came up is that my notebook crashes everytime I try to unplug the edimax usb card.The desktop turns to black with full of messages, it freezes there and the caps-lock indicator blinks fast. The only solution is to reboot.Any idea?
    My OS is Ubuntu 12.10.
    Interesting! I have the same thing - the flashing capslock & numlock indicate a kernel panic. I tried disabling wifi then unplugging the adapter - kernel panic. Next I tried unloading the module using "sudo modprobe -r 8192cu" and had the same thing happen without unplugging the adapter, kernel panic. Rebooted into 12.04 which is using the driver from Realtek, not the deb file from Tim. Same reaction to being unplugged - kernel panic. It appears to be an issue with the driver from Realtek. I guess the solution is to shut down before removing the adapter. This is one of those times it'd be nice to have a Linux/Ubuntu equivalent to the Windows applet that enables clean removal of hardware devices.
    Last edited by kurt18947; June 16th, 2013 at 04:10 PM.

Beans

Hmm. I would probably reinstall Ubuntu,. Which post are you referring to, there is a lot of posts? Ideally you would want to keep the usb card in, if you have security concerns just disable your wireless router (turn it off or unplug cat5 from data port).
    I followed instructions from posts #1,#5,#10. This kernel panic is also happening on 12.04 and 13.04 versions.I really think of coming back to windows

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast