Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Zealand users: Wifi / 3g connection?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New Zealand users: Call for help

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Given that you are travelling around NZ and will be in remote zones the best Telco for this is Telecom http://www.telecom.co.nz/home/
    +1.

Newer handsets from Telecom (if you decide to purchase one while here) should work with SIM cards from any of the other providers here, but the reverse isn't always the case.

Edit: one thing to watch is that if you bring your own handset, Telecom uses the 3G 850/2100 band. The Huawei Ideos X1 (a.k.a. u8180) I purchased from Telecom understandably can connect to this band, but I've seen specs for versions from other countries which don't include this band.
    Last edited by lisati; December 11th, 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: More info
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Given that you are travelling around NZ and will be in remote zones the best Telco for this is Telecom http://www.telecom.co.nz/home/
    I'll be arriving in Auckland on dec 18th so on the 20th I'll be still pretty close. The other days are not so critical as the 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    +1.

Newer handsets from Telecom (if you decide to purchase one while here) should work with SIM cards from any of the other providers here, but the reverse isn't always the case.

Edit: one thing to watch is that if you bring your own handset, Telecom uses the 3G 850/2100 band. The Huawei Ideos X1 (a.k.a. u8180) I purchased from Telecom understandably can connect to this band, but I've seen specs for versions from other countries which don't include this band.
    Well, my handset is an iPhone 4s, but I'd like to avoid using a handset in order to avoid tethering issues. I'd like an usb modem to plug into my notebook (Macbook pro late 2011)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

We do international Skype video calls over 3G from Australia to Mauritius. There is certainly some latency, but it is usable. If 3G in metropolitan New Zealand is the same quality as in metropolitan Australia you wont have any problems.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: New Zealand users: Wifi / 3g connection?

In the end I bought a sim card from telecom nz and made the call from kaitaia. Everything went smoother than expected. Thank you all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12