Thread: Suggestion for Ralink drivers on 64 bit Ubuntu (RT3562 in my case)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Suggestion for Ralink drivers on 64 bit Ubuntu (RT3562 in my case)

While looking for the cause of serious dropouts, i.e. connection loss and retries, low transfer rates etc. with my Ralink 3062 device, I found a possible reason in how struct sk_buff is defined and how it is used in the include file include/os/rt_linux.h

Ralink is perhaps not aware of the fact that for 64bit Linux the types of sk_buff->tail and ->end are no longer pointers, but unsigned integers. They are defined as sk_buff_data_t in skbuff.h and the crucial lines from this header file are the following:

Code:
    #if BITS_PER_LONG > 32
    #define NET_SKBUFF_DATA_USES_OFFSET 1
    #endif

#ifdef NET_SKBUFF_DATA_USES_OFFSET
    typedef unsigned int sk_buff_data_t;
    #else
    typedef unsigned char *sk_buff_data_t;
    #endif
    So for 64 bit Linux, one cannot directly access e.g. skb->tail and assume it is a pointer. It rather is an offset to add to skb->data to obtain the pointer.

To handle this change correctly, we should change some of the macros in the Ralink drivers header file include/os/rt_linux.h and also some lines in the source code, which - despite the macros being available - access skb->tail directly.

First, the macros in include/os/rt_linux.h that deal with the packet tail should use the skbuff.h-defined inline functions skb_tail_pointer() and skb_set_tail_pointer() like this:
    Code:
    #define GET_OS_PKT_DATATAIL(_pkt) \
        (skb_tail_pointer(RTPKT_TO_OSPKT(_pkt)))
    Code:
    #define SET_OS_PKT_DATATAIL(_pkt, _start, _len) \
        (skb_set_tail_pointer(RTPKT_TO_OSPKT(_pkt), \
         (int)((_start) - GET_OS_PKT_DATAPTR(_pkt)) + (_len)))
    The packet end is also of type sk_buff_data_t and as such also has its own macro in skbuff.h, which returns the pointer regardless of the value of NET_SKBUFF_DATA_USES_OFFSET. Thus the Ralink drivers macro GET_OS_PKT_END in include/os/rt_linux.h should read:
    Code:
    #define GET_OS_PKT_END(_pkt) \
        (skb_end_pointer(RTPKT_TO_OSPKT(_pkt)))
    The piece of code that uses skb->tail directly is in os/linux/rt_linux.c around line 482:
    Code:
    NdisMoveMemory(skb->tail, pHeader802_3, HdrLen);
    and
    Code:
    NdisMoveMemory(skb->tail, pData, DataSize);
    Note: With 64 bit Linux these two lines of code move data to an (low) unsigned integer value taken as address (i.e. NULL + nn), where they should be using the offset skb->tail added to the skb->data pointer! So these two lines should instead read:
    Code:
    NdisMoveMemory(GET_OS_PKT_DATATAIL(skb), pHeader802_3, HdrLen);
    and
    Code:
    NdisMoveMemory(GET_OS_PKT_DATATAIL(skb), pData, DataSize);
    I have some more minor, cosmetic changes, which were due to warnings issued by gcc-4.8.0. These changes are taking care of unused local variables
    and an assignment of a const char* to a char* (PSTRING). They are not really important, as opposed to the stuff mentioned above.

With above changes my connections run without dropouts and at the download rate of circa 2MB/s which my internet connection is expected to deliver.

I hope this hint helps my fellow Ubuntu users getting stable WLAN connections.

Jürgen
    Last edited by pullmoll; December 9th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: Suggestion for Ralink drivers on 64 bit Ubuntu (RT3562 in my case)

Here'a link to the patch against the DPO_RT3562_3592_3062_LinuxSTA_V2.4.1.1_20101217 archive from Ralink's website:

http://pastebin.com/VkUjULJ5

Jürgen

Beans

Re: Suggestion for Ralink drivers on 64 bit Ubuntu (RT3562 in my case)

Im sorry but how do you apply your patch?

Thanks